Translate


Thursday, June 11, 2020

My Emails to Cornell Univ.

Below is the text of the email I have sent to the president and law school dean of Cornell University concerning professor William Jacobson.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Dr Pollack, Dr Peñalver,

My name is Gary Fouse, and I am formerly an adjunct teacher at the University of California at Irvine, Extension (English as a Second Language-1998-2016). I am also a retired Drug Enforcement Administration agent (1970-1995). I am now a blogger on various issues. (http://garyfouse.blogspot.com)

I am writing to you to express my concern over the recent events surrounding Law Professor William Jacobson over his comments on the nationwide unrest in the wake of the George Floyd killing in Minneapolis. As one who is familiar with campus unrest and issues of free speech, I feel compelled to write to you in defense of Professor Jacobson and respectfully request that his rights be defended and protected.

During my time at the UC Irvine campus, I became involved in issues of anti-Semitism and the intimidation and bullying of Jewish students over the issue of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. At times I was critical of the UC Irvine administration as well as the president of the UC system itself. I must say in all honesty, however, that the university never interfered with my First Amendment rights, and there was never any retaliation against me.

I am glad that Dr Peñalver has issued a statement defending Professor Jacobson’s right of expression. I ask why, however, it was necessary to state to the campus that Professor Jacobson’s statements are against the values of the law school. As far as I know, Professor Jacobson has made no racist statements, rather he has (rightly) criticized the violence, rioting, looting and arson. Therefore, I would ask you if rioting, looting, arson and violence against police and others reflect the values of Cornell and its law school?

In addition, I am well aware that your own campus has suffered incidents of anti-Semitism, swastikas, and hateful expressions against Jews in recent years. Do they reflect the values of Cornell?

I can tell you that as a retired law enforcement officer who has made many arrests, what happened in Minneapolis to Mr Floyd was unconscionable. I am in full agreement with the firing and prosecution of the officer who committed that crime as well as the three cowardly cops who failed to stop it. I am agreement with those who march peacefully. However, like Dr Jacobson, I condemn those who have engaged in violence and in some cases, murder, and in that respect, I agree with Dr Jacobson.

I am well aware that conservatives like Professor Jacobson have few friends in academia. The idea of free speech has become a joke on our college campuses, which are increasingly run by the inmates, to borrow a phrase. The suppression of alternative opinions by ideological bullies (some students, some professors) has greatly lowered the prestige that our universities once held.

Let me conclude by saying that the Floyd episode is a tragedy and corrective steps must be taken. Hopefully, the violence will subside and we can let the justice system do its job, which I am confident it will. I also hope that the toxic atmosphere on our campuses will subside in favor of true dialogue and understanding between all of us. I conclude by asking that Professor Jacobson’s rights and safety be protected.

Sincerely,

Gary Fouse


No comments: