Translate


Tuesday, August 25, 2020

UC Irvine's Black Thriving Initiative


                                                                                                    "Working my magic"


A few days ago, I wrote an article on  George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement. I received the below comment from an anonymous reader referring me to the latest endeavor at UC Irvine. I copy it below.


 Anonymous said.


.

Mr. Fouse, it's time that you realize that the universities will fix the problem, and in this context I would refer you to your former institution, UC Irvine.

By radicalizing young students, the universities will erase all forms of racism in the elite, who will run our country in the future.
Sit back, relax, and let the academics work their magic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also copy my response to Anonymous:

Dear Anonymous (Whoever you are, though I can guess),
Thank you for sending me that link, or I would never have known that UCI was now engaging in another silly, politically-correct endeavor that will accomplish nothing.

First of all, there is no anti-blackness at UCI or any other university. Anti-Semitism, you bet, but UCI has ignored that problem for over 20 years now.

Your programs will never address the real problems facing black America by simply going after the big, white boogey man. I agree with black conservatives like Larry Elder, who say that the biggest problem facing black America is not white racism, rather an out-of-wedlock birth rate that is now over 70%. It was about 25% in the worst days of Jim Crow. Why is that?

As for universities fixing the problem and working their magic, I have seen that up close and personal from my 18 years teaching part time at UCI. It is universities who have helped create the problem. Universities have worked their magic by convincing every person who is a minority that they are a victim and can't make it on their own. The universities have worked their magic by turning students against Jews in favor of the radical pro-Palestinian mobs. Universities have worked their magic by convincing students that America is a racist, imperialistic, colonialist endeavor. I have always maintained that when I was a child in the 50s and 60s, America was racist-but not now. No other society would have worked so hard to undo the wrongs of the past.

But you said it yourself- universities are radicalizing students. That may have worked well in the USSR, Nazi Germany or present-day Iran, but not in our country. We have the laws, the Constitution, and the infra-structure to correct injustices without resorting to radicalism on either side.

I will, however, take your challenge and make a post out of your comment and your link. At the same time, I challenge you to bring speakers like Elder, Thomas Sowell, Candace Owens or other black conservative to speak at UCI, but you won't of course unless conservative student groups do it for you, and then they can expect to be disrupted because that's what universities condition them to do.

Sit back and relax? No.

I also challenge you to affix your name to what you write if you really believe in what you say. I sign my name to everything I write. You don't have to, of course, but it would greatly enhance your credibility.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enough said. I eagerly await a response from Anonymous.


No comments: