Translate


Monday, May 18, 2020

Remembering Bob Watson (1946-2020)




I note with sadness today the passing of former major league player, general manager, and league executive Bob Watson at the age of 74. He had been ill in recent years with kidney disease and other ailments, so his passing was not a surprise.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-watson-new-york-yankees-general-manager-black-houston-astros-died-kidney-disease-044053121.html

I previously posted a similar article when Dock Ellis passed away. When I was playing college and semi-pro baseball in my youth in the mid-60s, I had the brief opportunity to work out on Saturdays with a semi-pro team called the Pittsburgh Pirate Rookies, coached by Pirate scout and former Negro League pitcher, Chet  Brewer, and filled with prospects who would go later on to the major leagues, players like Watson, Ellis, Bob Tolan, Leon McFadden, and Dave Nelson.

At that time Watson was a catcher and was nicknamed, "Bull" due to his powerful and stocky build. I can't say I got to know him well; I really didn't get to know any of them well, and my Saturdays with the team only lasted a few weeks, but I was impressed with Watson as a player and as a nice and mature young man.

Rest in peace, Mr Watson. You had a great career in baseball and contributed mightily to the game.

The Associated Press

No comments: