Translate


Monday, January 6, 2020

The Golden Globes-Another Masked Ball


 
                                                                                                               




Patricia Arquette gives sobering speech at Golden Globes















Something unusual happened last night. I actually watched the Golden Globes-or at least a significant part of it. Don't ask me who won any awards because I didn't pay any attention to that. I didn't care. What happened was that we had some of our family over and they all wanted to watch it, so I was stuck. The Missus doesn't even want me around when they watch these masked balls because I always make snide remarks. I managed for the most part to keep my mouth shut. Some parts I missed when we were eating or chatting in the living room.

But enough of that. Here are some observations.

I am not a member of the Ricky Gervais fan club, but I was pleasantly surprised at his take down of the Beautiful People and their utter hypocrisy in his opening monologue. Boy, did he let them have it. It was great. The forced smiles and sick expressions on their faces were priceless. Tom Hanks looked like he was going to chuck his Moet.

Speaking of Hanks, he looked like he almost chucked it when giving his way-too-long acceptance speech (of something or other). He admitted that he had spent the previous couple of hours putting away the Moet (which was on every table). Not a good night for Mr Hanks even if he did get an award.

Apparently, only one person used the mic to go on a rant about our President. That was someone named Patricia Arquette (hope I spelled that right). She rumbled out onto the stage unexplicably wearing sunglasses and an absurd low cut dress. I was afraid her giant boobs were going to fall out of her dress onto the stage and roll right into the audience! Then she compounded the flop (no pun intended) by going on about the upcoming war with Iran and urging the world to vote in 2020.

For Donald J Trump no doubt!

Speaking of bras, did you count the number of them in the room? I counted exactly zero. Maybe some of the males were wearing them, I don't know.

Anyway, the brightest part of the evening was Gervais and his comment that this was the last year of this nonsense. Oh, you mean he was referring to him being the master of ceremonies?


No comments: