Translate


Friday, May 17, 2019

Rabab Abdulhadi's SoCal Hate Tour




San Francisco State University professor Rabab Abdulhadi was  scheduled to speak at UC Irvine on May 15 before Students for Justice in Palestine. I say scheduled because the last time she was scheduled to speak at UCI, she mysteriously failed to show up.

She did show up at UCLA the day before, however, speaking to an anthropology class, at which hosting professor Kyeyoung Park reportedly told students that attendance was mandatory. The Daily Bruin is running an article on how the event went.

http://dailybruin.com/2019/05/16/anthropology-guest-lecturer-accused-by-students-of-encouraging-anti-semitism/

It is hard for me to comment on the event because I was not there, and it is not clear as to whether Abdulhadi was "interrupted", something I refrain from doing. However, I wonder how Abdulhadi feels about interruptions when it is the pro-Palestinian side that regular engages in disruptions of pro-Israel events.

I defend Abdulhadi's right to speak just as I defend the rights of opposing audience members to voice their own opinions during q and a or group discussion. For me, I have added my own two cents worth in the above reader thread.

As voiced in the DB article, one wonders if Professor Park will balance her class by inviting someone to speak about anti-Semitism or about Israel in a positive manner. I suppose not. When teachers bring in guest speakers to spew their personal opinions to a class without a counter-balancing voice (either at the same event or later on) then what we have here is not education-rather indoctrination.

No comments: