Translate


Monday, April 28, 2014

Day One at UC Irvine Hate Week-"Scaling Back"

There won't be much fireworks at UC Irvine this week, thankfully. There are no speakers except for Thursday night. Today and the rest of the days, the only things to see are a refurbished apartheid wall and a mock Israeli check point with Muslim Student Union members yelling at each other and rolling around on the pavement as other students passing by look on with puzzled looks on their faces.

I asked one of the MSU girls passing out flyers why the lack of speakers, and all she could tell me was they were trying to scale back this year. No money for speakers, perhaps?

Anteaters for Israel and Hillel have tables nearby. The AFI table had some pamphlets provided by Stand With Us. After engaging in a fruitless conversation with a high-ranking official of Hillel, I didn't bother to see what the Hillel table had. According to him, everything at UCI is great, and it is counter-productive to fight back.

That's Hillel. As I said before, I don't criticize students if they choose not to get involved, but I do criticize the adult leaders of Hillel when they decide to remain silent.

No comments: