Translate


Thursday, July 4, 2013

Zimmerman: Does the DNA Evidence Hurt the Defence?

I watched a good portion of yesterday's testimony of DNA state crime lab worker Anthony Gorgone's testimony.  Gorgone was an impressive and professional witness, as opposed to that other forensic witness,Valerie Rao. Here are my non-expert opinions based on the below CNN report. 


http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07/03/george-zimmerman-trial-trayvon-martin-day-8?hpt=hp_t2


Not being a DNA expert, I wondered how much significance there was to the finding that Trayvon Martin's fingernail scrapings did not contain George Zimmerman's DNA. It seems to me if you are punching someone, that does not necessarily translate to the recipient's DNA being found on or under your fingernails, as it would be if you were scratching a person. In addition, when your hands are balled into a fist, the fingernails are not expected to come into contact with the victim, with the possible exception of the thumbnail.

As to DNA found on Zimmerman's gun and holster, the lack of Martin's DNA would bolster the prosecution's case that Martin likely did not grab Zimmerman's gun or holster.

As to the blood transfer from Martin to Zimmerman and vice verse, I am not sure what dramatic importance that has. (Again, I am no expert on this.) Yet, I do recall a regrettable experience from my college days, in which I was involved in a fight in which my nose was broken. On that occasion, being young and foolish, I got involved in a verbal altercation with a stranger of my same approximate age, and the next thing I knew, he had hit me with a hay maker that broke my nose and caused  a lot of bleeding. The fight proceeded, and when it was broken up, I was (somehow) on top of the other guy. Suffice to say, he was covered in blood (mine), but I had gotten the worst of it. At any rate, he who bleeds most usually is not on top, wouldn't you agree? Nor is the one on top normally screaming for help.

The question does remain: Who was on top, who was on bottom, and who was screaming for help? In contrast to my situation, it is important to know who was on top, Zimmerman or Martin? According to Gorgone's testimony, most of the blood transfer was that of Zimmerman's. Thus far, we have heard no testimony by the forensic experts as to who was likely on top or bottom. Nor have we heard any forensic testimony as to the direction of the entrance wound to Martin (way beyond my expertise) that might answer that question, if possible.

So who was on top and who was on bottom? Who was screaming for help? Whoever that was seemed in fear for his life.

Do we know? If we don't, then there is reasonable doubt. On the contrary, the preponderance of evidence would indicate that Martin was on top.

No comments: