Translate


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Tucson Memorial: Well Done, Mr. President

When I got home this evening, Janet Brewer, Governor of Arizona, was halfway though her speech at the Tucson memorial. Though I missed the opening. I did, however, listen to the President's speech. Everyone wondered what he would say. Tonight, President Obama served his country well.

President Obama spoke the words he needed to speak to comfort his audience and  comfort the nation. His most memorable words were when he told us that the nation needed to live up to the expectation and imagination of the youngest victim, Christina Taylor Green It was a stirring moment. He also reached a high note when he informed the nation that right after leaving the hospital, Gabrielle Giffords opened her eyes for the first time.

The President did, in fact, touch on the raging controversy over the extent, if any, whether the heightened political discourse had contributed to the incident, "It didn't." In addressing the need for a gentler discourse (my words), he stressed that it was to do honor to the victims.

The only negative thing I have to say is that I question why the event was held at the University of Arizona (it was officiated by Robert Shelton, the university president.) Much of the  audience was made up of students. Many observers are commenting that the cheers and screeches were not appropriate for such a solemn event. I tend to agree, and I suspect the President was not comfortable with his enthusiastic reception.

On the other hand, it may very well be that the university facility was the only one appropriate (in size) for the event. It may also be that the tone of the event (which was set by the students in the audience) was, in fact, therapeutic for the Tucson community.

But the important point is that the President came through. Whatever criticisms I have of him as President, tonight I thank him for his words.

6 comments:

davod said...

"I tend to agree, and I suspect the President was not comfortable with his enthusiastic reception"

Mindreader.

Were there any of the victims family members present?

If so. I wonder how they felt about the raucus atmosphere. Maybe they wre bought off by a free t-shirt.

Gary Fouse said...

Davod,

My words were, "I suspect". I am not a mind reader.

There were victim's family members present. How many I don't know.

Obviously, many are uncomfortable with the raucus atmosphere. As to how the family members felt about it-we don't know yet. Nobody has said.

I don't know anything about free t-shirts.

Findalis said...

That was the worse memorial I have ever seen. If I had been in grief for a loved one, I would have walked out in anger. It was a cross between a political rally, spring break and a football game. But a memorial it wasn't!

Gary Fouse said...

The worst was the Wellstone memorial. That was a total disgrace.

Ingrid said...

I can't believe that I would ever agree with Findalis. I had exactly the same feelings while watching. President Obama did seem to feel uncomfortable because of all the raucus. What is wrong with people?

Siarlys Jenkins said...

In this post, and not for the first time, Gary has shown himself to be a thoughtful American, a man of discernment, good taste, and judgement, even if on other occasions I think he arrives at the wrong conclusion. I didn't hear the broadcast, but what I've read about the raucous crowd does sound off-base.