Translate


Monday, August 23, 2010

Lou Piniella


"Ain't my f-----fault! Fousesquawk's the f-----guy!"



As a Cub fan, I am going to miss Lou Piniella. Since I started writing spoofs on the Cubs' woes this season, Lou has been the butt of many jokes and cartoons. All those references to Lou arguing with the umps, drinking in the dugout (in jest) and blaming Cub general manager Jim Hendry for the Cubs' failings (which he never did in reality) are out the window now.

Yet, I am grateful to Lou for making the Cubs a contender and those two divisional championships. Nothing short of a World Series, however, will satisfy my 47-year addiction to this team and the charm of their magical ballpark. Lou fell short, and now the team needs an infusion of young blood and a young manager.

We Cub fans know that Lou is leaving before the end of the season due to the ill health of his 90-year-old mother. I've been through that situation, and there is no doubt Lou is doing the right thing.

It's highly doubtful that Lou ever saw one of my postings on the futile season. If he did, I would want him to know it was nothing against him. All I have been doing is trying to laugh to keep from crying, and it has been most therapeutic for me. The heartbreaks of 1969, 1984 and 2003 were more than heartbreaks. Now that after all these years of wondering if I will live to see the Cubs in a World Series, it is disheartening to recognize that the team now needs to rebuild for the future. At 65, I wonder if I have the time.

But Lou did a great job with the Cubs. I blame none of the problems of this year on him. As long as I have supported Jim Hendry, the contracts of Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Zambrano look terrible right now. How I wish we could unload those guys. The trade of Derrek Lee was also sad but necessary. Lee did so much for the Cubs, but it's time we find a younger player at first base. The same is probably true for Aramis Ramirez, who has been a steady and productive player.

At any rate, it made no sense for Piniella to extend his contract with the team looking at rebuilding. I thank him for doing a great job and wish him the best.

No comments: