Translate


Tuesday, July 6, 2010

John Lewis and the Capitol Hill Protest



The above video was sent to me by an anonymous reader in connection with the controversy surrounding the Capitol Hill protest in which there were charges that one or more protesters used the n-word at some black congressmen including John Lewis. Above is a TV interview with Lewis on CNN.

I hope I am not embarrassingly behind on the news regarding this incident, but I am still somewhat confused. The question posed by Anonymous is whether I take John Lewis at his word (I have already written that I do and condemn any such action.)

What I am unclear on is whether Lewis himself heard any racial slurs directed at him or anyone else, or he is relying on the account of someone else. Both Congressmen Andre Carson (D-IN) and Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) have claimed they heard it. The videos that I have seen do not reveal any such slurs that are audible.

Here is an excerpt of the incident by Jim Galloway of "Political Insider":

"Lewis said he was leaving the Cannon office building across from the Capitol when protesters shouted “Kill the bill, kill the bill,” Lewis said.

“I said ‘I’m for the bill, I support the bill, I’m voting for the bill’,” Lewis said.

A colleague who was accompanying Lewis said people in the crowd responded by saying “Kill the bill, then the n-word.”

“It surprised me that people are so mean and we can’t engage in a civil dialogue and debate,” Lewis said.

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D- Mo., said he was a few yards behind Lewis and distinctly heard “[the n-word].”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet, videos show that Cleaver was a few yards behind Lewis going up the steps (when he was hit by spittle), but not seen behind, in front of, or anywhere near Lewis upon going down the steps, as pointed out in videos posted by Andrew Breitbart, who offered a $100,000 reward for an incriminating video. There also seems to be a controversy over which video that day is the one in question. See below for Breitbart's video.


(Big Government.com)

I am trying to find such a statement by Lewis that he himself heard the word, but so far without success. To me, the above video of Lewis implies that the n-word was used but not explicitly that he heard it(a contradiction in terms, I know).

So help us out readers. I am not calling anyone a liar. I have an open mind and have no use for that kind of language being directed at Lewis or anyone else. If anyone out there has the incident on tape and racial slurs are audible, let us know. I'll post it.

And maybe Breitbart will give you $100,000-or is that offer still open?

2 comments:

Atticus said...

It's pretty clear from his comments that he heard these things. "I don't have any malice toward individuals who used the 'n' word or spat on my colleague..." At the very least, it can't be argued that he BELIEVES that these things happened. Unless he's being used and duped by his colleagues as part of a grand conspiracy, I think you'll have to take him at his word that this stuff happened.

Gary Fouse said...

Lewis, from I can gather, has been very circumspect in his own remarks. What I am asking is whether it is possible that Carson and or Cleaver related the story to him, went public and Lewis found himself in a spot of not wanting to actually contradict them. Also possible is that something was said, but Lewis didn't hear it.

The bottom line remains-I don't know.