Translate


Sunday, April 26, 2009

A German Town Wrestles With a Historical Site


Heil und Pflegeanstalt, Erlangen


A few years ago, I wrote a book about the town in Germany where I was stationed in the army during the late 1960s. (Erlangen-An American's History of a German Town). Naturally, part of the book covered the years of the Third Reich. Erlangen, located just a few miles north of Nuremberg, is a university town and one of the leading medical centers in Germany. Not surprisingly, much of its darkest chapters were connected to Hitler's corruption of the universities and of the medical practice. Today, part of that history has come back to the forefront as the city debates a proposal to tear down part of the old Heil und Pflegeanstalt (mental asylum).

Even before the Nazis instituted their Final Solution with the Holocaust, they engaged in what was called a dress rehearsal in the late 1930s when they began doing away with their mentally ill population. Those deemed "unworthy of life" or "useless eaters" were simply done away with through various means. Eventually, the public became aware of what was happening, and protests led to the ending of the program in 1941.

Erlangen's Heil und Pflegeanstalt, referred to locally as the Hupfla, was one of those places where patients died by the hundreds-by government design. Even after public protests led the government to end the program, hundreds continued to die at the Hupfla by simply being allowed to starve. Wilhelm Berger, a minister from a local church, did what he could to smuggle bread in to the patients with the help of a sympathetic attendant. Yet, he knew that it was far too little.

Today, a memorial to the victims stands at the entrance to the institute.

Since the 1960s, when Germany, at least West Germany (East Germany maintained they had all fought the Nazis as communists), really began to come to grips with its Nazi past, the nation has gone to great lengths to acknowledge the past and educate its younger generations so as to prevent any re-occurrence. Many of the sites associated with the Third Reich still remain. An example near Erlangen is the site of the Nazi Party Rallies in Nuremberg, which still stands though gradually crumbling. In addition, the state of Bavaria has what it calls its law for the preservation of historical monuments. Erlangen's Hupfla, which dates back to 1846, is included (Denkmalshutz).

Yet those entrusted with the preservation of historical landmarks feel that they have been by-passed in the rush to build a new research center on the site. The architectural plans for the new center would include tearing down one of Erlangen's important historical sites, both from the standpoint of its age and archectural design, as well as its historical role during the Third Reich.

The Hupfla is one of those many historical landmarks that I was totally unaware of during my time in Erlangen as an American soldier in the 1960s. Once I became aware (during my research and subsequent visits), I found the site to be a moving experience. I hope the city can find a way to keep the site, both to maintain the archectural character of the city and to maintain a site for commemmoration and reflection.

10 comments:

Ingrid said...

Gary, I lived practically next door to the "Hupfla", on the next block, and my father was born kitty corner from the place in 1905. As a child I always felt uncomfortable passing the place, not exactly knowing why. No one ever told of people having been killed there. I have memories of this place, even some funny ones. You just brought them back.

Gary Fouse said...

Ingrid,

And if I am not mistaken, Josef Greil-Creil, who visited the MP station every month with his regular report, was a resident there.

Ingrid said...

Yes, General Uno was, and he is one of the people I remember from that time. We used to salute him and he gave us 10 Pfennig. Some of the patients were able to walk around freely and came to my father's grocery store. I met them all. Did you know "Emil" and "Hans Hans"?

Gary Fouse said...

No, only Greil-Creil. He would report to the MP station once a month on his moped and turn in his report of his month's activities -in embarrassing detail, which I won't repeat here. I still have his postcard. Maybe I can write something up on it. (It's in the book.)

Arbo said...

I am currently in Erlangen for work, and was searching the internet for interesting places to visit when I ran across this blog entry.

I figured out where the picture on this entry was taken, but am sure that is not the Hupfla. Here is a picture from a more local source in a news story about it:

http://images.nordbayern.de/bilder/1/1/3/2/20090421_4c_regby_hupfla_big.jpg

I searched for this building and thought I found it down by the main University building, but was later told it was already demolished. So any help pinpointing exactly where it was located would be of help.

Gary Fouse said...

I also saw that picture from the newspaper article. It may be a rear building of the complex, so I wasn't familiar with it. The building I posted is what I recall and hopefully that has not been torn down.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, it was located on the north side of the Neue Strasse going slightly away from the inner city, probably a block east of Theatreplatz. The pole with the red ball is a marker for a now disappeared historical landmark (there are several around Erlangen). That marker is certainly still there, so you can use it as a reference. Hope this helps.

Gary Fouse said...

Arbo,

PS; If you are interested in Erlangen's hgistory, can I make a shameless plug for my book:

Erlangen-an American's history of a German Town
gary fouse
university press of America, lanham,md 2005. The Thalia store used to have a copy but they could order it for you if you are going to be there for a long time. Otherwise, you could order it when you get home. Thalia also has several books on Erlangen including old landmarks and photos of the city from 100 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I just visited Erlangen early in May and came upon your blog. I have a question that perhaps Mr. Fouse can answer. I found a small Star of David on an official Erlangen tourist map that I assumed to indicate some sort of Jewish memorial or historical site around Apfelstrasse (south of Wasserturmstrasse and east of Hauptstrasse). But when I walked there, I found nothing. No one in shops or local cafes knew what the Star referred to. Do you have any idea what I might have missed?

Thank you,
Deborah

Gary Fouse said...

Deborah,

I know where Apfelstr is but I am not aware of any Jewish landmarks there unless a noted Jewish person once lived there. The street that runs parallel to Apfelstr on the west side of Hauptstrasse is Dreikonigstrasse, where a Jewish house of prayer was located until it moved during the early Nazi years. I'll check my book, but nothing rings a bell.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your information. Indeed there was a small plaque with a name that did not immediately sound Jewish to me, situated around what seemed to be a small enclave of doctor's offices, and this is most likely what it was referring to. In the tourist map given to me by the hotel, there was a Star of David on that particular block--it was very confusing!
Thanks again for your reply,
Deborah