Translate


Sunday, October 12, 2008

Latest Update on Dayton Mosque Incident

Tonight, I sent an e-mail to Mr Lucas Sullivan, who is one of the lead writers on the Dayton mosque incident for the Dayton Daily News. In my message, I asked if he could let our readers know what the current situation is. I have been checking the Dayton Daily News for updates on this case, but it seems there is nothing new since a can of pepper spray was found in the mosque. I may have missed something; hence my e-mail to Mr Sullivan.

A check of the blogs indicate many strong opinions on this incident. Some bloggers are calling it a gas attack on a mosque, in which a 10-year-old girl was gassed in the face by one or two unidentified men-a hate crime against Muslims. Others are implying the incident never happened or that it was a hoax. The Dayton Daily News itself published a posting by a blogger calling it a hate crime after reading about it. That message has been given wide dissemination on the Internet.

Mr Sullivan, of course, is under no obligation to respond to my e-mail. I hope he will since I truly think the truth of this matter should come out. For better or worse, the incident is all over the blogoshere and speculation is running wild. Whatever the truth is, let the chips fall where they may.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blogger who "broke" the story on Dailykos has since admitted she sensationalized the headline, invoking the horrors of the Holocaust to elicit greater attention to her post. She also attempted to associate the mailing of the Obsession DVD with the incident at the mosque, thereby furthering her own political agenda. I don't approve of the Obsession mailing either, however her tactics are no different from those who disseminated the DVD, in fact, they're even more devious.

Gary Fouse said...

Dee,

Thank you. Do you have a source or link for that info? I don't think she actually broke the story, but her post got a lot of dissemination.

At this point, we don't know what really happened at the Dayton mosque.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

I meant she was the first to post a link between that DVD and the pepper spray incident on Dailykos. I happened to be reading there at the time.

Here is the link where she admits she posted the sensationalized, yellow journalism headline to grab attention for her story. Please see the last few paragraphs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-rodda/my-response-to-the-idayto_b_132473.html

Here's the link to DDN where she admits she spoke to no one other than her friend of a friend.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/search/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/10/03/ddn100308mosque.html

As I said, I find the mailing of the DVD a rather cheap shot, but having yawned through much of it myself, and given that it's been up on youtube and google for years now, I find it hard to believe that viewing it now suddenly drove anyone to a murderous rage. And if its contents are so compelling, why would it only affect the people of Ohio? The link between the mailing and the incident are pure conjecture, unsubstantiated, and accomplishes nothing more than prove that people are dishonest, on both sides of the political fence.

Dee