Translate


Saturday, March 23, 2024

The Latest Absurdity from UC Berkeley

Hat tip The College Fix



Here we go again. A professor at UC Berkeley is in hot water after giving his advice to a frustrated student who was not having success with the girls in the Bay area. In response, Professor Jonathan Shewchuk (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) suggested the young man look outside the Bay area for a girlfriend.

 Sounds like good advice to me.

But to the Jacobins at UC Berkeley, especially two departmental chairs, Shewchuk had crossed the line.  The College Fix has the report. It also has a link to the reportage by UCB's campus fishwarp, the Daily Californian.

I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to any specific people here, but (as I commented in the DC reader comments), I find it ironic that for years, the DC has regularly featured op-eds by female students describing their sexual encounters and practices. Maybe the university officials who are dragging this professor over the carpet should read some of these op-eds, past and present. The same goes for whoever is in charge of the DC before they use labels like "misogynist" to refer to Shewchuk. I know nothing about Shewchuk, but I do sense some hypocrisy here, especially when people at UC Berkeley talk about their "values and principles". 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not following what you mean here:

"I find it ironic that for years, the DC has regularly featured op-eds by female students describing their sexual encounters and practices."

How is writing about one's sexuality comparable to insulting people?

Gary Fouse said...

Maybe you should read some of these articles written by young co-eds in DC. If you want to argue that it is just a form of sexual liberation, fine. To me, we should keep our sex lives private. When the DC runs op-eds by co-eds describing their experiences, blow by blow (no pun intended) then calls some guy misogynistic because he advises guys to find girlfriends someplace else, that to me is hypocrisy. I get your point. I hope you get mine.