Translate


Monday, September 26, 2022

Katie Porter Calls Irvine Police "a Disgrace"

Katie Porter


Congresswoman Katie Porter is in the news again, and it isn't good news. Apparently, a man identified as Julian Willis of La Jolla, near San Diego was arrested in July of last year for punching a man at Porter's political rally in Irvine. Apparently, there were protesters at the rally, and a fight broke out involving Willis, who reportedly lives with Porter. Willis was subsequently arrested and Porter took issue calling the Irvine police a "disgrace". Fox News eventually came up with copies of emails between Porter and the mayor of Irvine, Farrah Khan shortly after the incident.

While I am no fan of Porter, I confess this is the first I have heard of this. I have no knowledge other than what is reported. I don't know who was at fault in the incident involving Willis. So I will not comment on the incident per see. If, in fact, Trump supporters were loudly interrupting Porter as she spoke, I would condemn that. People have the right to speak without being disrupted.

I do think, however, that politicians should not be so quick to refer to a particular police department as a "disgrace". I know a little about the Irvine PD, and I don't consider them a disgrace at all. But for today's Democrat party, this is not so unusual. We have people like Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Alejandra Ocasio-Cortez, and others making similar statements. It only enhances the perception that the party is anti-police. In addition, given the philosophy of the UC Irvine Law School, where Porter was a professor before going to Congress, it all seems perfectly logical.

   

No comments: