Translate


Sunday, May 29, 2022

Two Names on a Wall (Annual Memorial Day Repost)

Forever young


 As I do every Memorial Day since 2007, I am reposting my first "Two Names on a Wall" tribute to two high school friends who gave their lives in Vietnam, Michael Gene Vinassa and Dorian Jan Houser. It is also a tribute to all who gave their lives in war for this country.  

https://garyfouse.blogspot.com/2007/12/two-names-on-wall.html

My generation was greatly impacted by the Vietnam war. Of course, nobody was impacted as much as those who served in Vietnam, those who came back wounded and scarred, and most of all, those who died and their families.

As an Army vet, while I am proud to have served, I have never lost sight of the fact that my duty station during the Vietnam war was in Germany.  My own service does not begin to compare with those who served in Vietnam, as well as other wars before and since Vietnam.

I have previously written that I am involved with a group of volunteers with the Vietnam Memorial Fund trying to track down missing photos of our Vietnam KIA for whom there are no official photos. My involvement began when this group reached out to me to help find a photo of Michael Vinassa. We were successful in that attempt, and now there are only 11 photos yet to be found, most, curiously, from Puerto Rico.

 On Saturday night, while surfing through YouTube, I came across a 1966 US Air Force documentary about the medical procedure when soldiers were wounded, all the way from the helicopter med-evac to the field hospital and transportation back to the US. It's called "To Save a Soldier" and is narrated by Henry Fonda. To say it was moving and inspirational is an understatement. I am linking it here, and I encourage you to watch it.



No comments: