Translate


Monday, December 13, 2021

Zahra Billoo and the Anti-Defamation League: Is the ADL Finally Waking up?

Hat tip Legal Insurrection 

Zahra Billoo of CAIR


Jonathan Greenblatt of ADL

A recent speech by Zahra Billoo, head of the San Francisco office of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) has stirred a lot of controversy-as it should since it is full of anti-Semitic rhetoric. What's surprising to me is that even Jonathan Greenblatt, the head of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has spoken out in criticism. There is even a back and forth between the ADL and CAIR regarding the content of Billoo's speech.

That is refreshing.

I say that because, in my opinion, the ADL has been missing in action when it comes to reacting to anti-Semitism that comes from Islamic quarters. Since the ADL leans left politically, it has preferred to highlight anti-Semitism from white nationalists and people on the right when most of the Jew-hatred these days is coming from the left. That includes Islamic Jew-hatred. This was true when Abe Foxman was leading the ADL, and it has continued under Greenblatt, at least until now.

In all the years I have spent documenting anti-Semitism at UC Irvine-especially during the so-called Israel Apartheid weeks every May, the ADL was of no assistance in battling the problems on campus. As I have pointed out many times, I would often see their local representative present at the events but never speaking up, never challenging the speakers as I and others did during the Q and A. It was Foxman's position that there was no problem at UC Irvine-that the Jewish students and administration had it all under control. They did not.

I don't know if this Billoo flap marks a new beginning for the ADL or they will slip back into their shell when it comes to Islamic anti-Semitism. Greenblatt is a man of the left, so we shall wait and see. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: