Translate


Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Sweden, Europe, and Other Things

 Several readers of this blog might be asking why there are so many postings about Europe, especially Sweden. During the past week, most every article has featured events in Sweden, specifically with the death of cartoonist Lars Vilks. 

As an American blogger, I would like to address this. It is not that I am not interested in events in my own country. I absolutely am, from the disastrous presidency of Joe Biden, to the excesses of the radical left, and many other issues, including on our college campuses. When this blog first opened in 2007, two of my main issues were anti-Semitism, particularly on college campuses, and Islamic jihad. That is still the case today.

Both of those issues are huge problems in Europe. As I have pointed out many times, Europe is dealing with mass migration of people from mostly Muslim countries, and the results have been a catastrophe-also for Jews who now have to deal with renewed anti-Semitism. It is so bad that Jews are leaving Europe in large numbers. What happens in Europe is important to the US because it should teach us lessons about immigration, which, if not handled right, can go so wrong. 

Sweden is prominent on this site for two reasons: First of all, it arguably has the worst immigrant/refugee situation in Europe in terms of crime. Secondly, this site is able to translate Swedish articles into English. I myself have been a student of Swedish since the 1990s, and I am still active in developing my Swedish skills. The same is true of Dutch, which I began learning around 2000 when I was researching my book on the history of Papiamentu-the creole language spoken on three of the islands in the Dutch Antilles. (Most of the literature on Papiamentu has been written in Dutch.) In addition, I have lived in three foreign countries, Germany, Thailand, and Italy, and am married to a Mexican. Suffice to say, Fousesquawk is in a position to translate news from most West European countries. I feel that we should take advantage of this capability and not let it go to waste.

But I recognize that this has resulted in fewer postings about very serious issues going on in the US. I am trying not to lose sight of the problem of anti-Semitism in America, particularly on our college campuses. I am still very interested in Islamic radicalism in the US, as well as what Joe Biden is doing every day.

So please be patient with me, Dear Readers. 



No comments: