Translate


Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Inauguration: Where Was the Riot?

 Watching the inauguration today and the media's fawning coverage of it, I was gratified to note that there has been no outbreak of violence in Washington. This is not to criticize or mock the decision to have a massive National Guard presence. (My wife's nephew is standing guard at the White House as I write.) During the past week or so, I read a few messages on social media from conservative voices urging people not to go to Washington.

At any rate, it appears (as President Biden is making his way to the White House) that, at least today, we have had a peaceful transition of power-quite in contrast to what occurred in Washington 4 years ago when Trump was inaugurated.  Whatever doubts we may have about the honesty of the election, Biden is now president. We must accept that while reserving our right to continue to express our opinions and criticize when we feel it is appropriate. 

Final thought: I heard a lot today about unity. That was a major theme of Biden's speech. Yet, we are still facing the prospect of an impeachment trial against Trump. There is talk about punishing and/or even de-programming Trump supporters, whatever that entails. The attacks on Trump and those who voted for him will continue. I would hope that Biden would take the lead in stopping that, but I am doubtful.

My gut feeling is that before the day is even over, all these words about unity will be ringing hollow.


No comments: