Translate


Thursday, November 19, 2020

A Look Back at Kathleen Sebelius

Hat tip Chris




Back in 2013, I selected former Health and Human Services director Kathleen Sebelius as "Jerk of the Year". One of the principal reasons was her refusal to bend the rules for a 12-year-old girl with cystic fibrosis to have an adult to child lung transplant needed to save her life. The courts overruled her, and as a result, Sarah Murnaghan received two lung transplants, one from an adult. The original link from the Independent Review Journal in 2013 describing the case is no longer online, so I am using this link from Daily Mail in its place.

Today, Sarah is still alive*, and one of my colleagues has sent me this update. It is from 2018. Had Sebelius' bureaucratic decision stood, Sarah would not have survived.


*As far as I know. The last mention of her online is from social media last year.


No comments: