Translate


Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A New Brewery for Erlangen





When I was stationed in Erlangen from 1966-1968 with the US Army, the town had three breweries in operation, Erichbrau, Kitzmann, and Henniger-Reifbrau. Eventually, Henniger and Erichbrau were bought out by a larger brewery (I think it was Tucher of Nuremberg), and Kitzmann was bought out in 2018 by Kulmbacher, a major brewery in Kulmbach. Erlangen, a town which in the early 20th century, had earned a reputation as a "Bierstadt" (beer city) has been struggling in recent years to maintain that tradition. The re-establishment of an old brewery (Steinbach) has helped, and a few years ago, another former Erlangen brewery, Weller Bier, was re-established. And today, I read in the Erlanger Nachrichten that a new brewery is being opened in Erlangen, Entlas Brau. 

https://www.nordbayern.de/region/erlangen/entlas-brau-will-erlangens-tradition-als-bierstadt-fortsetzen-1.10386612

The owner of Entlas Brau, Vincenz Schiller, is the son of Thomas Engelhardt, owner of the Entlas Keller located on the grounds of Erlangen's annual Bergkirchweih. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Engelhardt several years back when I was writing my book on Erlangen. During the warmer months of the year (April-September), the Entlas Keller is open and features a limited daily menu, often with duck, as the name Entlas Keller implies (Ente=duck).

Hopefully, if I ever get back to Erlangen, I can sample the new brew.

No comments: