Translate


Thursday, August 1, 2019

MLB: Fousesquawk's Inside Scoop

Image result for nick castellanos


Yesterday, I took in an Angels game in Anaheim. They were playing the Tigers. It was also the last day for trades to be made and the rumor mill was ablaze. Being a Cub fan, I was particularly interested in the weeks-old rumor that the Cubs were interested in trading for Tigers outfielder Nick Castellanos to booster their offense.

As I entered the gate, I saw a teenage boy with his mom and he was wearing a Castellanos Tiger jersey. Pointing to my Cubs cap, I told him that before the day was over, Castellanos might be playing for my Cubbies. "No way," he responded. "The Cubs have too much payroll invested in Rizzo, Bryant and Baez". Knowledgeable young man, I thought.

When the opening lineups were announced, Castellanos was right there playing right field. Then, in the first inning, I noted that he was not in the game. Could this mean that he had been traded? I quickly jumped on my Red Rider cell phone and texted my old army buddy, Ray, also a lifelong Cubs fan. "You heard it here first," I told him.  Sure enough, a few innings later, I learned that Castellanos had, indeed, been traded to the Cubs. The trade was reportedly consummated 40 seconds before the deadline. I wonder what the young boy is thinking now.

How come I don't get paid for this?


No comments: