Translate


Sunday, August 26, 2018

John McCain

Image result for john mccain


I can't let the day go by without commenting on the passing of Senator John McCain, who died Saturday from brain cancer. No matter what I or anyone else thinks about his later years as a senator, when he disappointed many conservatives, John McCain is an American hero based on his Vietnam war service and time spent as a POW. It must be recalled that he actually refused an early release because he was the son of a top Navy admiral.

I voted for McCain in the 2008 election, and for the only time in my life, went to see a political candidate speak when he was scheduled to make an appearance in Orange County during the campaign. (He didn't show up.) In addition, I have one of McCain's autographed books, a  gift from my cousin, who went to a book signing. McCain conducted his campaign with class. During his eloquent concession speech, he refused to let one of his followers in the audience make negative remarks about President-elect Obama.

In his later years as a senator, I disagreed with many of his positions. I regarded it as unfortunate that he engaged in a bitter back and forth with President Trump even though Trump's comment during the campaign about McCain's POW time was despicable.

All that must be put aside as we consider McCain's place in American history. There is no question history will treat him kindly.

Rest in peace, Senator McCain. A life well lived.

1 comment:

Squid said...

Well said Gary. I agree with you, in that McCain had America in mind during his lifetime. In the end, he lost his way by supporting Progressive like ideas. I think his ability to think was effected by his illness. In the end, he is an American hero.

Squid