Translate


Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Day 3 at UCI Catastrophe Week



And what a catastrophe it was for the kids in Students in Justice in Palestine and Muslim Student Union at UC Irvine. Once again, they no doubt had to get up early to re-construct their silly apartheid wall. Once again they were all dressed in Hamas-style garb using Palestinian keffiyas to mask their faces. Once again they marched around chanting and getting in the faces of Israeli Reservists on Duty. The police presence was massive as they worked to keep both sides separate. They did a very good job.

One young guy in particular, who was the real hothead, repeatedly walked up to me while I was videotaping and got in my face. I stood my ground in silence as the cops hovered over us. This character was obviously trying to intimidate me, but it didn't work. On the first occasion, he came up and stared at me for about 5 minutes. I just stood my ground and continued filming his Palestinian facial covering until he gave up and walked away. (Or at least I thought I was. For some reason my cell phone didn't function, but then again, who would want to watch that for five minutes?)

Update: I got it. Here it is.




I did manage to interview a young lady from the IDF Reservists who  told me what happened the previous day as SJP et al got in their faces with their chants.



Also, prior to the chants which started at 12, noon, a couple of the Reservists crossed over to the self-proclaimed "SJP side" of the wall and one young man spoke to the aforementioned hothead with cops standing by. He told this character that he would be meeting with Israeli Knesset members next week and would be happy to deliver any letter SJP would care to write. He also asked to shake his hand. All he got were a couple of F bombs. Twice, Mr Hot Head warned his followers, "Nobody from us better say one f---- word". You can hear it below.




And the fun continued for an hour or so. At the end of the below video, Mr Hothead gives everybody the finger.





This evening, some guy named Anis Zubi is speaking, but I'll pass. I would rather watch baseball.

I can only repeat that the SJP/MSU are only hurting their cause with the dress and loud, aggressive actions. The students (as always) I observed passing by had expressions of either amusement or annoyance on their faces. It has always been that way.

No comments: