Translate


Friday, December 20, 2013

My Year End Gut Check

This is not the first time I have written such an article, nor do I expect it will be the last. I think it is time to put down some thoughts on a lot of what I have written up to now.

While I write on a wide variety of topics, I have noted that an increasing percentage of my articles tend to center around Islam and the Israeli-Palestinian issue.  That leads me to think that it is time for a bit of self reflection on these issues, especially about Islam.

I think it is important to reiterate that whatever concerns we have about the topic and whatever anger we may feel about outrages being committed around the world and the persecution of non-Muslim minorities, we must remember that most Muslims, particularly those living in America are innocent, peaceful and merely trying to get by in life. Nobody should ever think that it is justifiable to strike out at them because of what is happening overseas-or even when an attack happens on our shores or a plot is foiled. We should take pride that Muslims in our country are not subjected to the hate and violence that non-Muslims are experiencing in Muslim-majority lands. We are not like that. That is not the American way. We are supposed to be fighting against intolerance and hate-not practicing it ourselves.

As I write this, CAIR has just released a study on bullying of Muslim students in American schools. While I am skeptical of anything CAIR says,  I have not read it in any detail, and I am not yet in a position to judge it. I would condemn any bullying of Muslim students-or any other group of students. When I was a kid, I was subject to bullying, and to my great shame, was guilty of it myself at times. I regret it deeply and wish I could reach out and apologize to anybody I harmed by it.

But I digress.

It is true that our society and other societies must come to grips with the threats we face from supremacist Islamists who seek to do us physical harm and/or seek to take over our societies and make Islam supreme. I will continue to write and speak out about these things. I will continue to publicize the atrocities, the hate speech, actions and words of certain individuals both abroad and in the US. I will continue to challenge the Muslim community to speak out and oppose the extremists even realizing that it puts them in danger. I will continue to express my concerns about passages in the Koran and the hadith as well as parts of sharia law which I feel have no place in a free and pluralistic society.

I will try not to cross  that line, however, into hate and blaming all Muslims. Many think I already have. Many think I do everyday. That is their right. I myself know what I have said, and I know what I have not said. I will try to follow the line that I have set for myself. I hope we all keep it in mind as we stand up for our freedoms.




4 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Well said, although at times I think you do cross lines you recognize here as lines none of us should cross. We all live and learn.

elwood p suggins said...

A difference of opinion being what makes for a horse race, it is mine that Gary certainly does not cross lines any more or less frequently than any of the rest of us, to include Siarlys.

And to be politically incorrect these days, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!

Gary Fouse said...

Thanks Elwood and Merry Christmass to you.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Merry Christmas to both of you!

(What's politically incorrect about that elwood? What's even political about it?)