Translate


Monday, May 13, 2013

My Letter to UC President Yudof in Support of Tammi Benjamin


Dear President Yudof,

 

My name is Gary Fouse, and I am an adjunct teacher at UC Irvine Ext. I am writing to you to urge that you and the UC chancellors take a strong and open position in defense of Tammi Rossman-Benjamin’s right of free speech and to denounce the intimidation and anti-Semitic harassment she has been subjected to. I am a friend and colleague of Tammi, and I support everything she is saying.

 
I myself have been witnessing the climate of intimidation on the UCI campus since 2006. As you may know, I have spoken out publicly about it and will continue to do so. In my view, there is no greater problem on the UC campuses than the anti-Semitism that is brought to fore by these asinine Muslim Student Union/Students for Justice in Palestine events, in which many speakers make statements that go far beyond criticism of Israel and into the area of outright Jew hatred. I say this as a Christian who knows where this hate leads.

 
Just this past week, UCI saw its annual May hate fest in which efforts were made over and over again to stop me from videotaping, which is my right to do in a public venue. This week, the MSA at San Diego is holding the same events and will no doubt try to enforce a no-videotaping “rule” that the university helped them enforce last year. It is intimidation, pure and simple, and it is illegal.

 
In addition, I wish to point out to you that virtually every recitation of the Koran that I heard at UCI last week at the opening of the events spoke of “God’s punishment for the disbelievers”.  I assume you know who that is referring to (Christians and Jews).  Intimidation?

 
Sir, you and your officials have a duty to provide a safe working environment for all your teachers-including Tammi. I have been saying for years that it is just a matter of time before one of our campuses experiences a tragedy.  I urge you to take steps to stop this campaign of smears and intimidation against one of your teachers.

 

Sincerely,

 

Gary Fouse

Adj teacher

UC Irvine Ext.

 

No comments: