Translate


Sunday, June 24, 2012

Update on Cancellation of Pam Geller Speech by LA Jewish Federation

Earlier today, I reported that the LA  Jewish Federatoin had cancelled a speaking appearance by Pam Geller today at the last minute .I was scheduled to attend another event in Los Angeles, but when I learned a protest was to be held at 11, I went up early to try and make it before it ended . Apparently, I got there too late (12:30), and I assume the protest was already finished.

Fortunately, Geller and the Zionist Organization of America were able to find a new venue nearby and the event went on as scheduled.

I don't know the full story as yet, but if the LA Jewish Federation is anything like the Orange County Jewish Federation, this would appear to be true to form. We know that CAIR had been complaining about this event on their web site for quite a while.

Below is Geller's report from Atlas Shrugs with photos of their protest.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/

As yet, I don't see any statements from ZOA Hqs or the LA Jewish Federation. Below is the statement from the director of ZOA West, Orit Arfa, who did much to save the day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ZOA supporters, friends, and frenemies,

There were many highlights and lowlights before, during and after the event with Jewish heroine Pamela Geller today.

Of course, the biggest lowlight was being told by the leadership of the Jewish Federation, only a few hours before the event, that they were unilaterally cancelling our pre-arranged talk with Pamela on "Islamic Jew Hatred as the Root Cause of Failure to Achieve Peace in the Middle East."

As a Jewish professional, I worried about all the people who signed up, paid money, and were on their way to see us--how would I let them know? There was no way I was going to cancel the event. I was determined to find a new venue if the Federation didn't change its mind.

Then, of course, as a Jew and lover of freedom, I was saddened that the Jewish Federation caved, as we suspect, to pressure of Muslim and left-wing Jewish groups to make us cancel Pamela, whom those groups love to hate. (It's hard to find balanced coverage in the media, so I'll refer you to Pamela's blog for the back story).  In all fairness, the Jewish Federation has not yet responded, but this is our strong suspicion based on its record. 

I was inspired, though, by the tremendous support that we received from the community who shared their outrage at such treatment by the Jewish Federation of Los Angeles, where we enjoy our tenancy and which has provided a wonderful space for us to do our work, where we have a free exchange of ideas with Jewish community professionals. Those people who stayed with us to the end did now cower and stood up for us. Thank you on behalf of the ZOA, the Jewish people, and people of integrity. 

And, of course, we are so grateful to the local Jewish hero, Marvin Markowitz, who, at the last minute, opened up a space for us to hold the talk, a fabulous events hall called The Mark on Pico, just near Factor's Famous Deli, which he also owns, and which I encourage all of you patronize (best omelets and coffee!). He was not afraid of what the intellectual bigots would think or say and he acted with courage and honor.

Steve Goldberg, ZOA National Vice Chairman and LA Chapter Chair, it is an honor to work with you. Your strength and courage inspire me every day. Thank you for your dedication to the ZOA and to truth.  

Paul Schnee, our local President, you were there every step of the way. 

And Pamela--thank you for being such a strong, fearless woman and for not being afraid of speaking the truth about Islam's war against Israel and the Jews, for suffering all the hatred and lies that you suffer, and for not giving up. You are an inspiration to us all.

But my biggest highlight came at the end of the event, when my sister dropped into the Mark with her kids for pizza (we treated everyone to lunch). I light up every time I see them. They are so sweet, so kind, so beautiful. I look at them, and sometimes I want to cry when I think about all the Jewish children who were massacred because they were Jewish children--innocent goodness who never got a chance to realize their potential, unlike my nieces and nephews who are privileged to grow up in a great country that protects individual rights. And I think how, unlike their counterparts in the Middle Eastwho are given guns to play with when they are in kindergarten, my nieces and nephews grow up on Jewish values of love, noble aspiration, and doing real good in the world.

I look into their blue eyes, and when they say, "I love you, Dodah," I want to hug them for eternity and do whatever I can to protect them (watch out when I'm a mama!). And I think how hateful jihadists, like Nazis before them, make kids their targets because they are Jews!

I, along with the ZOA, am not fighting against anyone--not against other Jews, not even against Muslims. I'm fighting FOR something: the right for Jews to live freely and happily in America, Israel, and wherever they so choose. I'm fighting for those kids--those amazing, beautiful, adorable, loving kids--whom I want to grow up without fear. And self-defense can never come from appeasement and fear of criticism because then you are never truly alive, you are never truly free, you are never truly living without fear.

They call us haters--but read between the lines of what the Muslim Brotherhood backed groups say (CAIR, ICNA, etc). They don't really act to thwart Islamic terrorists. They don't really care if Jews are massacred. They'll say Palestinians have no choice in their fake fight against the "The Occupation." They have a choice. We ALL have choices. That's how God created us. But they pose as civil rights activists.

If you are pro-civil rights, then the only rational choice you have is to be pro-Israel, the only country that respects individual rights in the Middle East.

And I'm sad when I think I can't rely on my Jewish leadership to do whatever it takes to protect me and fellow Jews because they are concerned about its image, about being called names like "right-wing" and "extremist." They didn't care that they inconvenienced me, their tenants, and all the people--Jews and non-Jews alike--who came to hear Pamela. They were concerned instead of how hosting Pamela would look in the eyes of others.

I never wanted to be a crusader. I never imagined that I would have to fight for Jewish lives. I thought when I moved to Israel years ago (and then came back), I'd be able to pursue dreams that had nothing to do with war and peace. But the Islamists killed and harmed innocent people I knew and loved, in heartless cold blood, blowing their bodies to bits. And instead of fighting back, we gave into their demands. But I have to defend what I love. You have to defend what you love.

We hope the Jewish Federation will behave with more courage in the future. It would be nice if they apologized, but we won't hold our breath. However, please share with them your disappointment and shock at this treatment. You don't have to agree with what we say, but you should support integrity and free speech. 

Please take the time to write a note to the leadership of the Jewish Federation. We ask you to refrain from name-calling and insulting letters. We'd like them to see rationally the error of their ways and hopefully we can achieve fruitful dialogue through this episode.



I will go to work tomorrow with my head held high.

Yours truly and with love,
Orit Arfa
Executive Director, ZOA Western Region

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





2 comments:

Miggie said...

This is self censorship at its worst because of intimidation and cowardice by the LA Federation.
I was at the event today and there wasn't a single arab or Muslim in the area all morning!

So if there was a threat that came from CAIR to the Federation it had to come in the middle of the night because they didn't cancel it until 7 AM in the morning! That means that CAIR then had to contact all their protestors and tell them that the Federation had caved in and they didn't have to show up. I've never seen that kind of capability or competence ever from CAIR.

IMHO, this was the same kind of "don't make waves" excuse the OC Federation used to cancel events.

They got "the call" from the OC Federation and that was it.
There is a whole network of people who work as professionals for one Jewish Organization or another. (Many Jews stupidly give them a lot of donations, thinking it will go for charity. In fact, far too much of it goes for these professionals outrageous salaries and benefits)

They tend to know each other and talk about this or that job opening in one or another of the organizations. Of course, you "play ball" with your compatriots and accommodate them with requests or you will lose your standing in the group. Forget that you broke an agreement with an organization the last minute. Forget that you even advertised it on your own website. Forget that you are screwing another Jewish organization... what counts is that you were a stand up guy at the right time for the group.

We have seen this many times in the OC Federation. The head of the OC Federation's brother is a big deal in the notorious J Street. They still sponsor the completely idiotic Olive Tree Initiative so that Jewish students will learn the Palestinian narrative.

I look forward to the day when the truth about the Federation is revealed, that they will lose their funding and they will all have to go to work for CAIR or HAMAS, where their true ideological views are shared.
.

Gary Fouse said...

One word, Miggie:

Judenrat.