Translate


Monday, January 9, 2012

Teaching Math in Norcross, Georgia


Hat tip to All Voices

I picked up this story on CNN and no matter how you cut it, it's troubling. This is about a homework assignment given to third graders in a Norcross, Georgia math class. The school is describing it as "cross-curricula", a mixing of math and history.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/11256330-georgia-school-implement-slave-questions-in-math-assignment

On the CNN presentation, a couple of African-American fathers were interviewed. They objected, apparently, on grounds that they felt their children were not emotionally ready to tackle the subject of slavery. A school representative conceded it was "inappropriate". (Another question referred to Susan B Anthony being charged for voting.)

I seriously doubt that the teacher, whoever it was, was trying to make light of slavery. More likely, the intent was to instill the knowledge of our past sins in the childrens' minds. At a certain age, we have to teach our kids about our historical mistakes. Slavery must be taught-not to teach the kids that America is evil, rather to show them that these kinds of things must never happen again.

But do these questions, as formed, mislead or confuse young minds into thinking these things are happening in America now? Was the intent really to start the process of teaching our youth that America is an unjust place?

As to that question on picking oranges, my question would be, "Does Sudan have orange trees?"

A woman was charged by the police for voting? If you want to make this cross-curricula, put a map on the wall and show the kids where Saudi Arabia is.

I applaud the parents for objecting. Parental supervision of the schools and what they are teaching our kids is an important part of the educational process.


1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Slavery, like all past events, should be taught objectively. What happened, happened. It shouldn't be soft-pedaled, but it should be taught in complete cultural context. A math class is not the time or place to do that comprehensively.

I took my little brother to Civil War re-enactments starting at the age of seven. I deliberately did not give him a full primer on race or slavery. But when we were visiting a Sutler's tent (re-enactment of the travelling merchants who accompanied the armies, and who sell real stuff for money now too), he fingered a confederate flag.

I told him, I know your mother does NOT want you bringing that flag home. He asked, in all innocence, why not. I tried to explain secession. He asked "Isn't that illegal? Won't the police arrest you for that?" Hmmmm... yes, but what if the governor, the legislature and the police are all in on it... then the president needs an army.

Then I posed, what if he had $1000 and I had nothing. He could buy me for $1000 and I had to do anything he told me to or he could beat me up. He pondered that, and said "I wouldn't do that. I would ask you nicely."

We'll get around to the next level of discussion soon, but no rush.