Translate


Wednesday, December 28, 2011

On the Treadmill With Chris Matthews

"Newt Gingrich is angry."

When I do my daily treadmill, I have the TV on to help pass the time. Of course, on a Wednesday afternoon, the choices are limited. So, just for a few yuks, I turned on MSNBC and caught the first half of Chris Matthews' "Hardball" show. As always, Chris didn't disappoint.



As we all know, it's campaign season, and the mad-hatters at MSNBC are dedicating all of their time to bashing whatever Republican candidate is rising in the polls-or in today's case, still have a shot. Today, it was Newt Gingrich's turn in the barrel.

The thesis of Chris' show was that Gingrich has fallen in the Iowa polls, and as a result, he is angry. I mean reaaaaly angry. He is gnashing his teeth, putting his fist through walls, and even.......attacking his opponents-especially Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

Then Chris and his two like-minded interlocutors (Democrat...er.. "operative" Mark Halperin and Johnathan Martin of Politico) sat around and "analyzed" the up-coming primary states. Chris, typical arrogant northeasterner that he is, denigrated South Carolina as a state where Republicans wouldn't vote for Romney because he is LDS (That's Mormon for all you UC Santa Cruz Community Studies majors). He didn't dwell on it, but he did say it in passing. In other words, people in South Carolina (at least the Republican ones) are a bunch of redneck goobers according to Matthews the Savant.

In reality, I have not heard much mention of Romney being a Mormon-unlike 4 years ago. Leave it to partisan Democrats like Matthews to try and resurrect it.

Of course, Matthews and his gang at MSNBC are delighting in repeating all the dirt that is flying (what there is). First of all, why are they not talking about the accomplishments of that other guy-the sole candidate for the Democrat nomination, Barack Obama? They might as well run a complete show of commercials because they have nothing to talk about.



"Whadda'ya mean? I stand on my record."


Secondly, the criticisms among candidates for the Republican nomination pale in comparison to previous years. Even so, it is a normal part of the primary process for better or worse.

In addition, Matthews also conveniently forgets the nastiness of the Obama-Clinton primary in 2008. Now that was nasty. Remember the talk about race, the "race card", the slum lords, the nasty guy in the church, etc.?

 "Wanna be my Secretary of State?"



I didn't bother with the second half. My treadmill session was over, and I had to go in the back yard and clean up the dog-poo. But that was Chris' message of the day. Newt Gingrich is angry. He didn't back it up with anything, but that was the Hardball report of the day.

"Angry? Do I look angry?"

Not nearly as angry as when Larry Elder took Chris to task over his fawning book on JFK.



"Chris Matthews, you've got a weak show."

They call it News.

1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I don't know why Matthews or anyone gives the time of day to the pack of fools running for the Republican nomination. Doesn't he have ANYTHING better to talk about???

From what I've read elsewhere, it seems Gingrich is going down the tubes in Iowa, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is angry. This is news? This is worth my time if I turned on the TV?

One does not have to be a redneck goober to be skeptical of Romney's Mormon affiliation. On many conservative sites which are more focused on the meaning of religious faith, many Christians express doubts on this point. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a high concentration of such in South Carolina.

Me? I have reservations about Roman Catholics, and similar reservations about Mormons, because both are hierarchical churches. However, I have observed that American citizens of the Roman Catholic faith, elected to public office, are quite committed to being independent thinkers and representing those who elected them, not their bishop. I see no reason a Mormon could not do the same. I don't care whether his faith is truly Christian or not.

I won't vote for Romney because he's an empty shirt whose platform amounts to little more than "I really admire the thought of me being president." He's not one tenth the man his father was.