Translate


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fousesquawk's All Time Worst Songs




Previously, I have posted my all-time top ten favorite songs, followed by my top ten Spanish songs. Now it's time for the official Fousesquawk top ten worst songs.

  10 Tutti Frutti by Pat Boone

Talk about a square peg in a round hole. Pat Boone trying to sing a Little Richard song. Well, you get the picture.

9  Alley Oop by the Hollywood Argyles.

One night a bunch of drunk guys stumbled into a do-it-yourself recording studio on Hollywood Blvd and  recorded this monster, which became a monster hit. Fortunately, the Argyles were never heard from again after they sobered up  and realized what they had done. (True story)

8  Johnny Angel by Shelly Fabares

Along about 1959-60, so-called teen songs or death songs became all the rage leading to a general deterioration of rock and roll. That led to the British invasion-which finished off real rock and roll forever.


7  Mrs Brown, You've got a lovely daughter by Herman's Hermits

And what British invasion dudbox would be complete without one by Herman's Hermits? These sickly-looking lads epitomized the British look. Skinny, underfed, bad hair, bad teeth and bad songs.

6  I am Woman by Helen Reddy

She was a pretty good singer until she came out with this ditty that became the National Anthem for American feminazis.

That's right. Save your cards and letters.

5  Tip-toeing through the Tulips by Tiny Tim

Another British "gift" to America. What list would be complete without one by Tiny Tim?

4  Glad All Over by the Dave Clark Five

Everything they did was horrible. I picked this one out of a hat containing all their so-called "songs".

3  You made me so very happy by Blood, Sweat and Tears

Another group that produced nothing but garbage. For me, it was blood, sweat and tears every time I heard this dud. I was so very happy when this one finally disappeared from the charts.

2 Surfin' Safari by the Beach Boys

Thank God surfing songs passed into history.


But the all-time worst song ever is...................


1 Don't worry, be happy by Bobby McFerrin

Hands down. Take a bow, Bobby-wherever you are. I guess I'd better shut up. He might decide to make a comeback.

If you are wondering why there are no songs from recent years, that's because I gave up on English-language music a long time ago. I couldn't even tell you what the top ten hits are for the last decade or two.

And how come I didn't actually post the songs like I did with the top ten lists? Need you ask? That was to spare you.

10 comments:

Miggie said...

One some of these you would get universal agreement but I say that what is the worst in pop music is in the eye of the beholder.
.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

In the eye of this beholder, Gary is a great music critic.

Ingrid said...

Gary, you are an old fuddy duddy. There have been plenty of great songs in the last ten years and before.
I was a teenager when Elvis finally came to Germany (music wise) we tried to convince my father that Elvis had a great voice, after all he could sing "O Sole Mio" (It's now or never), my father, coldheartedly turned off the radio in the middle of the song. You remind me of him.

Gary Fouse said...

d,

My father also appreciated Elvis and actually met him. One of his songs, "One Night". I believe, was on my top ten best list.

Ingrid said...

Gary, this isn't about Elvis, it's about you saying that there haven't been any good songs lately.

Gary Fouse said...

Ingrid,

Anything good coming out of Germany, lately?

Ingrid said...

That depends on what you call good. I have never been a fan of German "pop" so I don't listen to the radio here. Nothing has changed in the German music world since we both left long time ago. Songs still sound the same but Germans seem to be happy with it.
There are some popular German singers, but most Germans listen to their favorite radio station which plays mostly American "Oldies" as they call it, with their own in between.
Go and google "Andrea Berg" "Lena Meyer-Landruth" "Unheilig" and you see what is going on here.
I listen mostly to Rock Classics, and of course "real" classical music, which is my passion.

Miggie said...

I have a music question. Do they have in foreign countries, like Germany, a genre of music coming from and appealing to people that would be equivalent to our "Country and Western" music?

I've been a fan of Country and Western music a long time. It seems to appeal to a segment that loves to hear a song about a cheating heart or about the day mama got out of prison. (I just made that up but that's the idea.)

I understand that the C & W market here is so huge that they keep the popularity figures separate from the popular songs. I just wonder if it is like that in Europe and elsewhere. I've just never lived in foreign countries long enough to find out.
.

Ingrid said...

Miggie, if you go to youtube and look for Andrea Berg you'll find what Germans like, her lyrics are like the country music's.
Then look for "Hansi Hinterseer", he has a strong following.
Germans also love American country music and at EVERY outdoor event sing "Take me home, Country Road" and "Sweet Alabama", really.

Miggie said...

Thanks, Ingrid, I liked Andrea Berg very much. The only thing I missed were the lyrics. All the rest reminded me of many of our C & W stars.

Hansi Hinterseer was not bad either. There was a "translate" option for him but I never got it to work.

Do you know where Andrea Berg's songs come from? Are they original?

Thanks for the reference.
.