Translate


Monday, January 24, 2011

How 'Bout Them Steelers?




Forgive me for taking up valuable blog space and time to add a few words about yesterday's Steelers-Jets game. (I am a lifelong, die-hard  Steeler fan.)

Why can't it ever be easy? Watching Steeler games is a 3 hour ordeal for me. By half-time, however, I was quite relaxed and cheerful. Yet, the Jets came back and made it "interesting". In the end, it was the usual feeling of relief that they hung on.

As I write, I am still waiting to get the extent of Maurkice Pouncey's injury. The offensive line is always a concern and Pouncey is a hell of a rookie. Update: It's a high ankle sprain.)

I also confess that I was hoping for a Bears win because I considered them the lesser opponent in the Super Bowl. God, with Cutler injured, the Steelers would have been at least a two touchdown favorite. When the Steelers are playing, you can keep your great games; I want an easy blowout.  That's why I was happy the Jets beat the Pats so we could have home field advantage. It was also great to see that loudmouth Rex Ryan eat crow after the game. Did you catch him slamming his headset down when the Steelers got that last first down? That was sweet. I have to think, however that the Jets were emotionally spent after those two wins at Indianapolis and Foxboro.

I hope the coaches will really utilize those other two rookies, Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders in the offense. They really add a lot when they are on the field.

The Super Bowl? I would have made the Steelers a 2.5 pt favorite rather than the Packers. Still, it will be tough. Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings is scary.

When I began pulling for the Steelers in 1955 (at age ten), they were the perennial losers. Only in 1972 did they when their first divisional title. Since then, we have been blessed with a great franchise that operates with class as well. Can't complain about a thing. I tell myself that when they lose.

If it only weren't for those damn Cubs.

1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

WE agree on the Cubs, but you will be relieved to know that I'm rooting for the Packers. You will be perturbed to know that an international vice-president of SEIU, who was student council president in my high school, will be joining you in rooting for the Steelers.