Translate


Friday, July 30, 2010

Charlie Rangel's Arrogance

It's not every day that I can say something positive about an MSNBC reporter, but kudos go to Luke Russert for getting Charles Rangel to lose his cool with an appropriate question then stand his ground while Rangel shows the arrogance of his congressional power.



This is what twenty terms in Congress does. This man is so arrogant that he thinks he is not answerable to the public. The sad fact is that he could be right. As I write, there are reports that no more than a reprimand has been recommended for Rangel before the House "Ethics Committee".

As I wrote once before, I take no pleasure in Rangel's scandal. He is a distinguished Korean War veteran who was a supporter of my agency (DEA)when I was a street agent. I have not forgotten that. However, there is nothing in this world worse than official corruption-especially in a country like the US. I hope the trial will proceed, and if guilty, Rangel has to leave the Congress.

1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

He should go anyway. Twenty years is enough. However, I am dubious that this kind of sound byte really enlightens anyone. I admit, I gloated when Dan Rather used the phrase "high crimes and misdemeanors" when posing a question to Richard Nixon's press secretary. But did it really expand our knowledge of relevant facts?

If I were in office, I think I would answer most questions "Thank you, I'm going to look into that carefully, and I will call you with my answer. If it really seems important, I'll use skype so you can post my response on YouTube."