Translate


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Miss USA-What's Going On?


Rima Fakih-Miss USA


I must admit I am blown away and confused by the selection of Miss Michigan, Rima Fakih, as Miss USA. Not that I don't think she deserves it-she is drop-dead gorgeous. My first reaction was what a great step toward assimilation since it was announced she was a Muslim. It's just that so many side questions have been raised.

First, as stated, it was reported that Rima was a Muslim. Then she stated that both Islam and Christianity were celebrated in her home (her family immigrated from Lebanon). So that issue is confusing.

Then conservative blogger Debbie Schlussel comes out firing that it was all rigged and that Rima's parents have ties to Hezbollah (I have no idea about all that.)

Now we see all the usual past photos that have a way of coming out after someone wins a beauty contest. Specifically, we see her at a bar standing next to a stripper pole in hot pants-but never undressed. There are the photos of her in lingerie (part of the pageant, I believe) and the bikini shots, which are a part of the pageant.

So I am asking myself-how are Muslims in general reacting to the bathing suit, lingerie and stripper pole images? Are they thrilled with Rima's selection? Angered? Mixed?

So for the past few days, I have been checking out the websites of CAIR, ISNA and the Muslim Public Affairs Council to see their reaction.......

Nothing.

I figured this would be right up CAIR's alley. Aside from their reports of anti-Muslim discrimination and "hate crimes", they love to feature articles showing how assimilated Muslims in America are. For example, for some time, CAIR has been featuring an article on a Muslim country singer that the State Department is sending on a foreign tour.

Yet nothing about Miss USA. Why is that? Is there anger about perceived moral issues? Too much assimilation going on here for an American Muslim female? Maybe, in reality, she's not Muslim. Who knows at this point?

In the meantime, congrats to Rima. Hopefully, this will be a positive step for the American Muslim community.

4 comments:

Lance Christian Johnson said...

First, as stated, it was reported that Rima was a Muslim. Then she stated that both Islam and Christianity were celebrated in her home (her family immigrated from Lebanon). So that issue is confusing.

Haven't you ever met anybody who grew up celebrating Christmas and Hanukkah? I've met more than a few in my time, so I don't see this as being all that different.

Regarding the apparent contradiction with Muslim values and skimpy bathing suits, I know what you mean. I was thinking something very similar just last weekend.

I went to a little grocery store called Super Tehran in order to buy some kebab seasoning (along with some other yummy Persian goodies). On the TV was a very gorgeous singer, whom I assumed was singing in Farsi. While she was definitely wearing more than a bathing suit, she was showing some awfully long legs with her short skirt. I was tempted to ask about that, but I'm not sure if some guy running a cash register wanted to get into an in-depth conversation about Muslim values and short skirts.

Gary Fouse said...

Lance,

I think we see more crossover between Jews and Christians than with Christians and Muslims. They have this issue about apostasy.

I assume that TV program was coming from the US-not Iran.

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Well, for nearly two thousand years Christians had this issue with Jews being "Christ killers".

And you're probably right about the TV show. Still, it's interesting.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Not to mention there are Christians who have issues with apostasy. Fortunately, Christians have diversified to the point that there is no center of gravity to it politically. Its one of the good things about being a Christian.