Translate


Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fousesquawk's Top 10 Hit List

I've been listening to music a long time and here are my top ten favorites. With the exception of one national anthem, they are all in the English-language. The national anthem I admit is a strange selection, but it is too beautiful to leave out.


Number 10-"Stardust" by Billy Ward and his Dominos Late 1950s rendition of a classic song. This was by far the best rendition.


Number 9- "One Night " by Elvis Presley Gotta have one by Elvis, and this was my favorite.


Number 8- "The Soviet National Anthem" by the Red Army Choir Evil empire, dopey propagandistic lyrics, but in terms of melody, simply the most beautiful national anthem of all.


Number 7-"Mexico" by Bob Moore A late 1950s musical rendition of a Mexican traditional composition by country artist Bob Moore. Heck'uv a job by a country band capturing the Mexican sound. The video also captures the rich culture that is Mexico.


Number 6-"In the Still of the Night" by the 5 Satins- From the
1950s, still one of the top selling songs of all time.


Number 5- "In Dreams" by Roy Orbison. Not his biggest, but certainly his best.


Number 4-"Mississippi" by Pussycat-This English-language country song by the great Dutch group of the 1970s never made a splash in the US, but was number one in the UK as well as being a huge hit in Europe and Australia. I listened to it in the 1970s in Bangkok. Pussycat was considered The Netherlands' equivalent of Abba.


Number 3-"Alone at Last" by Jackie Wilson- released in the 1950s by the late great Jackie Wilson, was noticeably different from his usual "Mr Excitement" rock sounds. Certainly not his biggest hit, but his greatest work.


Number 2-"Over the Mountain (Across the Sea)" by Johnnie and Joe- 1957 classic from the greatest era of rock n roll.


Number 1-"Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers (actually by Bobby Hatfield) released in 1965, this was hardly their biggest hit for some strange reason, yet became a classic in the late 1980s with the movie "Ghostbusters".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it, I knew you were a closet commie! You had me fooled, Gary!

;-)

Gary Fouse said...

I know. I know. When I hear it, I wanna go work in a truck factory.

Findalis said...

Truck or Tractor Factory?

Gary Fouse said...

Tractors-trucks-they are all heroic factory workers.