Translate


Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama is Elected

Since it is late and there are so many thoughts running through my head, I thought I would write down a few thoughts on Barack Obama's victory and save a longer essay for later when I am refreshed and had a chance to digest it all.

First of all, congratulations to Obama for a hard-earned victory. There is no doubt he ran a great campaign. I am also quite relieved that the victory was clear and decisive. There is no need to be divided over ACORN tonight. Whatever they did or did not do, it did not affect the outcome. There was no stolen election, thank God.

I think John McCain gave the greatest concession speech I have ever heard. Like him or not, he is a great American who has given more to his country that most all of us could imagine.

Tonight, watching the images on television, even I was a little swept away by the hope that this election might really be a turning point in America's long history of tortured racial relations. That remains to be seen because Obama's election does not wipe out the social-economic divide between the races. I do think, however, that it makes it a whole lot harder for people like Jeremiah Wright to say this is a racist country.

As for President Obama, he will, indeed, be tested by international events-specifically militant Islam. As our commander-in-chief, I will look to him to protect America from the likes of Al-Qaida.

The Republican Party has a lot of introspection to do. They need to decide what it is they stand for beyond getting themselves elected. They have a lot of deadwood that needs to be swept out and new blood that needs to be brought in. I hope they will return to their conservative principles and find leaders who can articulate that message to the public.

As for the new administration, there will be plenty of time for criticism and holding their feet to the fire. Now it will be us conservatives who have the opportunity to "speak truth to power" (to borrow a liberal line).

But for now, Obama will be our president, and he has my prayers.

Congratulations, Senator Obama and God speed.

12 comments:

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Good post, and I agree that McCain's speech was a good one.

Even though I'm not a Republican myself, I was actually thinking along similar lines as you. America can only benefit from a Republican party that is more focused and a good counterpoint to the Democrats. Hopefully, this will get them back on track.

Unknown said...

Well Written Gary!!

I look forward to speaking the truth in the future to the powers that be.

I really sincerly hope that the Dems and liberals don't abuse the advantages they have in the House and Senate to pass along their left views. We shall wait and see.

One last thing, did you see the people celebrating in front of the white house last night, did you happen to catch the the Soviet Flag being displayed as the people jumped for joy? What was that all about! I'd like to see what you think about that!

Anonymous said...

McCain showed grace and honor in his speech, and it was definitely a good one. I thought it was really tacky that some people in the crowd were still booing Obama's name and apparently saying some other nasty things, during his speech. McCain showed real class when he pushed back at them and shut them up. I think that was the John McCain people wanted to see this election. I'm glad to see the same grace from you, Gary. Some of the other blogs are not quite as pleasant, to put it lightly.

Although I am to the left of Obama politically and have my disagreements with him on a host of issues, I am still proud today of the fact that our country was able to look past race and elect the man that they felt would do the best job, making him the first black President in our country's history.

Gary Fouse said...

Faithful Remnant,

I did not see the Soviet flag, but I hope those that did took note.

As I said, Obama will be our president. He will be subject to the same criticism from us that the left poured on Bush for 8 years. Hopefully, our criticism will be fairer and not so vitriolic. At the same time, if he stands up to militant Islam and fights the terrorists, he will have our support. That problem has not gone away.

I also pray that he will not fall victim to some crazy racist, as did Martin Luther King. That would be absolutely catastrophic to our country.

Gary Fouse said...

Bryan,

Well said and thank you for the compliment.

Ingrid said...

Gary, at last it's over. I am pleased with the outcome. At least I don't have to listen to Palin anymore. Now all we can do is hope for better things to come. I also found the people in McCains crowd who booed tasteless, and his response classy. No booing when Obama mentioned McCain in his speech. There are a lot of Russians in the US, maybe someone just wanted to show his solidarity.
I am off to Spain for the next week, I need a break from all this excitement.

Gary Fouse said...

Ingrid,

I agree with your comment about McCain and the crowd in Phoenix. I am also glad it's over. As for the Soviet flag, which I did not see, there is no excuse for that. A Russian flag, OK, but not a Soviet flag. One would have hoped others in the crowd would have "put that person in his place".

Now for my nationalistic line-and please don't take it personally-especially since you are (I believe ) a naturalized US citizen. Tell all your European friends over there to enjoy the euphoria. You are going to be greatly disappointed.

Unknown said...

Gary,
Here is the link to the video of the Soviet Flag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCMcv1VF4uQ

Just copy and paste in your browser.

Let me also say that what happened to DR King must not happen to Obama. That would be the utter internal destruction of our nation, especially if a white man was behind it. Sadly I am sure some sick terrorist plot has already begun to create civil unrest in our country with this being at the forefront. I am with you in praying against this!

Gary Fouse said...

Faithful remnant,

Thank you. Regardless of our disagreements, considering the world situation today, we should all want Obama to succeed. Criticize him when we disagree? You bet. But I still want him to succeed.

Ingrid said...

Gary, yes I am a naturalized US citizen. I became one by choice and not by a lucky coincidence like you and my children, and appreciate this great nation maybe even more than others who were born there. I also miss living there more than I can say. As for my European friends, of which I don't have many, I don't understand why they were so for Obama. I am not expecting miracles. But most of my German friends in the US were for McCain. Beats me why.

Gary Fouse said...

Ingrid,

Maybe the reason most of your German friennds in the US rtecognized that the party of Obama was always seeing the negative side of America, a country they chose to move to.

knowitall said...

He won, some are sad, but the day goes on. The left-wing illuminati will mess up, it's their destiny. So the GOP have to re-group.