Translate


Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Change?

"Barack Obama will bring change to Washington. Change we can believe in. It's all about change."

What change?

Barack Obama, since becoming a US Senator, has written no legislation, authored no bills and accomplished nothing in the Senate.

Change?

Name one time that Obama has voted against his party's position in the Senate.

Change?

When has Obama reached across the aisle and worked with his Republican counterparts? Answer: He hasn't.

Is that change?

The Center for Responsive Politics lists Obama as the third highest recipient of funds from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac-only behind Chris Dodd and John Kerry.

Change?

Former Fannie Mae chairman Jim Johnson was on Obama's VP search committee-until he had to step down when it was revealed that he had received a loan from the Countrywide CEO.

Is that Change "You Can Believe In"?

Obama has missed 45% of Senate votes (at least that's what the McCain ads tell me).

Change?

Can anyone tell me what actions Obama took in the past couple of weeks during the bailout bill fiasco? McCain at least interrupted his campaign and went back to Washington to try and participate in the effort-while Obama stayed out of Washington campaigning and saying nothing. (Oh, yeah, he called a bunch of people-according to him.)

Change?

How many out there think Obama has been forthcoming and honest about his connections to Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, Tony Rezko and ACORN?

Change?

And as a state senator and US senator, Obama has directed earmarks to cronies like Father Michael Pfleger in Chicago.

But you want change, right?

In these hard times, do you really think that Obama is going to give 95% of us a tax cut and cut taxes for everyone making less than $200,000 a year (as he said in tonight's debate) while he criticizes McCain's proposal for 300 billion in tax cuts, and as he (Obama) proposes 860 billion in new spending? Do you really think those numbers add up?

Change?

Wake up, folks. The fact of the matter is that Washington doesn't change. It only keeps growing and screwing things up for the rest of us. The only change we are going to see is a bigger government and higher taxes to fund every liberal feel-good program that comes down the pike. The system, however, will not change. Barack Obama is a part of that system just like the rest of them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know, I am not an Obama supporter, BUT...

The Republicans have been in power for 8 years. 6 of those years they also controlled the Congress. I've not heard or seen anything to indicate that McCain's policies will be any different than Bush's. In other words, McCain will be more of the same. The way I understand it, Obama will bring change in the sense that he won't be continuing the same failed Republican policies of the last 8 years. Seems pretty simple to grasp, in my opinion. You're talking as if the Democrats are the ones that have been in power for 12 of the last 14 years in Congress and the last 8 years in the White House.

You also seem a little bothered that McCain has obviously lost the race, barring something really monumental happening. Relax, Gary, everything will be okay. I can honestly say that no one's day to day life is really going to change all that much regardless of who wins. Local and state government has more of an impact on our lives than anything else.

Oh and here's a fact check on that McCain ad. What the ad fails to mention is that McCain has missed 64% of his votes. Oops.

Anonymous said...

Let me also add, that I all I see from you, Gary, is NEGATIVE stuff about Obama. I know you have some criticisms of McCain, but you quite obviously prefer him to Obama. I would like to actually see you every once and a while post POSITIVE things about John McCain. Why do you like his policies over Obama's? In what ways do you believe he will do a good job in leading this country? I mean, it's fine to criticize Obama, but at some point you need to spell out why people ought to vote for McCain. That's why I said before that you should make a "Case FOR John McCain" post. This type of negative campaigning is more than likely part of the reason McCain is probably going to lose this race. Americans are tired of it. Don't tell us how BAD the other guy is, tell us how GOOD you are. That's what the American people want, and John McCain and the right-wing pundits have failed miserably at that.

I'm tired of lesser-of-two-evils voting. That's also why I won't vote for Obama. I'm not going to vote for a guy that is to the right of me politically just because the other guy happens to be even further to the right than him. I believe in voting for who you agree with the most, period.

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Change? I thought that's what the Republicans have been talking about! I done saw it on the TV!

Gary Fouse said...

Obama will bring change, alright. Higher taxes (income, capital gains, death taxes), more govt control over every facet of our lives. You like the way the govt handled fannie mae and Freddie Mac?-wait to you see them run health care.

Watch the people Obama will put into postions,,,,but wait, you are to the left of Obama. Why I am I wasting my time.

McCain missed 64% of votes? Could be. I am surprised any of these candidates made even one vote.

As for state and local govt., yee gads! We are in California.

Gary Fouse said...

Well, actually, I was sort of an Obama defender against Hillary. I even voted for Obama in the primary because, as an independent, I couln't vote for a Republican, so I cast my vote against Hillary, hee hee.

Ok, I'll try to spit something out on why we should vote for McCain-and I won't mention Obama.

Gary Fouse said...

Lance,

The Republicans shamelessly picked up on the change mantra because they knew it was resonating with Obama supporters.

Lance Christian Johnson said...

The Republicans shamelessly picked up on the change mantra because they knew it was resonating with Obama supporters.

Really? Hey, have you heard that there are trees in the forest?

In all seriousness, I understand that Obama is asking for the kind of change that you don't want. However, I think that the whole thing where the Republicans talk about change is REALLY cynical, as they're counting on (some) of their supporters to be so stupid that they won't realize how ridiculous that statement is. (As to why it's ridiculous, I think that Byran's first response pretty much covers it.)

Gary Fouse said...

Lance,

I actually have an admission to make. We are the ones who have to force change in Washington. Obama will change certain things, which I don't want, of course-as you said. The Republicans won't change much unless the conservative Americans really hold their feet to the fire. Both sides agree-the system is broke. It is up to the public to let their elected officials know that they won't be in office long if they keep this nonsense up. Am I expecting too much? probably.