Translate


Friday, February 15, 2008

The Vagina Monologues


This week's controversy over Jane Fonda's "C" word remark on the Today Show brought attention to the "Vagina Monologues" presentations that have found their way onto several college campuses, and at least one high school (in Amherst Massachusetts). The stated purpose of the Monologues is to bring attention to the problem of sexual violence against women, a worthy goal. I have never attended one of these presentations for a couple of reasons: First, as a former law enforcement officer, no one has to convince me that this is a heinous act and a severe problem in America. Men who commit such acts against women are the lowest of the low. Secondly, and perhaps erroneously, I have long suspected that there was some liberal side agenda to the Monologues, but I could certainly be wrong.

Two or three years back, I was walking across the UC Irvine campus where I teach when I was approached by a cute young girl passing out flyers for an upcoming Vagina Monologues on campus. She asked me if I would like to attend, whereupon I asked her what it was all about. When she explained that the purpose was to raise awareness about sexual violence against women, I replied that, while I supported her goal, I thought her efforts would be better spent lobbying her political representatives to pass tougher laws insuring longer prison sentences against offenders. For some reason, that idea didn't seem to resonate with the young lady. She proceeded to launch into a long monologue full of liberal talking points as to why my idea was not relevant. At this point, two of her VM girlfriends came over, curious to see who this strange alien craeture was that had found his way onto a college campus. By now, I was telling the confused young girl that she was spouting a bunch of talking points she must have learned from some left-wing professor and reiterated that the real solution was to put offenders in jail and keep them there. I also reminded her that once upon a time, rapists in California were executed. (Remember Carel Chessman?) By now, every flower within a range of 100 yards was dying.

"But imprisonment isn't the answer," opined one of the other girls.

"Then what is it you are trying to do?" I asked.

"We are just trying to raise awareness," one of the girls responded.

My final parting shot was that law enforcement had always been aware of the problem, but had been thwarted by liberal philosophy that said that prison wasn't the answer. At this point, I realized I was wasting my time, wished the girls good luck and continued on my way back to the real world.

At the risk of being overly graphic, I think I should also describe an article I read in the UCI campus newspaper (New University)about a Vagina Monologues presentation on campus a few years back . I don't recall if it was the same year or presentation as the one described above.

According to the article, a female presenter was telling the young female students that when they went home that night, she wanted them each to "touch themselves down there". She then added, " I want you to feel it. I want you to smell it. I want you to taste it." (I guess that will sure raise awareness.)

As I said, I may be incorrect in assuming that there is some liberal, feminist agenda associated with the Monologues since I have not actually attended one. If the sole reason is to "raise awareness" about the problem of sexual violence against women, then that is fine with me. However, I still hold to my simple cave man solution to the problem.

5 comments:

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Your solution sounds like a good one, but I don't think that an artistic effort to raise awareness is mutually exclusive with your response. I'm a big believer in the power of artistic expression - shoot, I'd have to teach another subject if I wasn't!

I agree that the girl's response to what you said doesn't seem to make much sense though.

Larry Kelley said...

Well the Amherst High School presentation of 'VM' (you know the same school that banned 'West Side Story' in 1999) went off without a hitch.

Although unlike four years (when they were the ONLY high school in the nation to do it) they did not sell out the 800 seat arena (Springfield Republican reports sales just over 500 tickets).

Thank God for little favors.

Gary Fouse said...

And I'm sure a wonderful (and informative) time was had by all.

Thank God for education.

Larry Kelley said...

Yeah, four years ago when the Bill O'Reilly Show made me attend I thought the "reclaiming" C-word (obviously with the reaction yesterday to Fonda’s use of it on The Today Show the reclamation is not going well) and the one where a 24 year old has sex with a 16-year-old after giving her vodka (she's only 13 in the 1998 edition) would be the worst.

But I forgot about the one where a young lady masturbates to orgasm. It was a little creepy sitting there watching guys in their 50', 60's and even 70's exuberantly cheering that particular performance by a High School kid.

Gary Fouse said...

That's bad! It shows the absurdity of what passes for education in our schools these days.