Translate


Friday, October 5, 2007

Barack Obama and the Lapel Flag Flap


This week, Barack Obama has announced that he will no longer wear the American flag pin on his lapel. His reasoning is that it is a phony symbol that substitutes for real patriotism (which is doing the things that he feels would make America great. (I am of course, paraphrasing). Obama said that he began wearing the pin after 9-11, but that his latest decision is linked to our responses to 9-11 and Iraq. In response, many jumped on the issue to question his patriotism. I think that is too symplistic. Obama is just as patriotic as, well....most other Democrats in Congress, whatever that means. But seriously, this is a small matter and should be nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. It does raise a question in my mind about one's motives for wearing the pin in the first place and the decision to take it off.

My first recollection of the flag pin goes back to Richard Nixon, who always had it on. Of course, in the eyes of many, Nixon brought discredit to the fashion statement and was only wearing it to make a false statement on patriotism. Perhaps, though I believe that whatever Nixon's transgressions in office, he truly did love his country.

Since then, the flag pin has been seen regularly on the lapels of leading politicians, especially Republicans leading many on the left to treat it derisively ("Flag Wavers" and such).

So how do I feel about Obama's actions? Well, I for one, don't wear the pin. Actually, I hardly ever wear a suit anymore. I don't feel that it is necessary to wear it in order to show my patriotism. Similarly, I don't feel it is necessary for Obama or any other politician to wear it to show their patriotism either. I confess that sometimes I wonder about the motives of anyone in politics who wears it, though certainly many do for the purest of motives.

But I also wonder about the symbolism of removing it, especially in a public manner like Obama is doing. Obama must have known that the symbolic meaning would strike different people in different ways, especially when he linked it to our responses to 9-11 and the war in Iraq. To me, it adds a bit to my suspicion of him as a phony. If he had never worn it to begin with, no one would have given it a thought.

Obama is obviously an interesting figure, who has a charismatic presence. However, I have noticed that he varies his impressive speaking style depending on whether he is before a white or black audience. With black audiences, he tends to adopt the black Southern Baptist preaching style. Is this a testimony to his versatility? Maybe, but versatility in what you say can be a big negative in politics (Saying different things before different audiences).

Of course, none of this makes Obama different from other politicians, especially his main opponent, Madame Clinton. The flag pin flap is small potatoes. There are much more important reasons why I wouldn't vote for him. I just have this lingering feeling that this guy is a phony, and this week's pronouncement is just another indication.

3 comments:

Anti-Racist Blog: Exposing Anti-Semitism and Anti-Zionism on American College Campuses said...

That man should not be President.

T.R. Clancy said...

This statement in your post:

"But I also wonder about the symbolism of removing it, especially in a public manner like Obama is doing. Obama must have known that the symbolic meaning would strike different people in different ways, especially when he linked it to our responses to 9-11 and the war in Iraq. To me, it adds a bit to my suspicion of him as a phony. If he had never worn it to begin with, no one would have given it a thought."

hits the nail on the head. Of course wearing a flag pin doesn't make you a patriot. But the symbolism of taking it off is immense.

T.R. Clancy said...

Yes you hit the nail on the head. It isn't that he doesn't wear a pin. It's that at one point he wore one, then decided to take it off.

That is the significance.