Translate


Sunday, May 3, 2015

No "American Sniper" at UC Irvine and Flag Update

In recent weeks, there was a controversy at UC Irvine when the student government voted to remove the American flag from their work space out of concern it might make some foreign students feel uncomfortable-or some such hogwash. (That was later rescinded.) In addition, several other campuses have been embroiled in controversy over showing the film, "American Sniper".

In the midst of all that, I have reached out to the UCI Office of Veteran Affairs to ask if they would issue a statement about the flag issue and whether they would consider showing "American Sniper" at UCI.

I have received an answer to both questions from the Office of Veteran Affairs. First, I was advised that a group of student veterans held a meeting with Vice Chancellor Thomas Parham to discuss the flag issue. I don't know what was specifically said at that meeting. Second, I was advised that a group of student veterans spoke about the flag issue at a recent meeting with the student government. What was said I don't know since the student-veterans reportedly preferred that the conversation remain between the participants. Finally, I was informed that the idea of showing "American Sniper" was nixed out of concern for any possible PTSD issues among the concerned veterans as well as the "campus climate". I am, of course, paraphrasing the response.

No comments: