Translate


Thursday, March 31, 2011

What Has Happened to the ADL?-A Cross Post

Hat tip to Family Security Matters

I am cross-posting an article from Frank Gaffney's Family Security Matters. It is an open letter from Alyssa Lappen to Abe Foxman, the head of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). It concerns an article published by the ADL attacking lawyer David Yerushalmi.

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.9119/pub_detail.asp

I do not know Mr Yerushalmi. I am aware that he gives legal assistance to various groups around the country seeking to prevent any intrusion of Sharia law into their states' legal codes. I don't have any argument against him for that. Nor do I have any problem with being against illegal immigration.

As for the ADL, I grew up hearing about that organization as the leading organ in fighting anti-Semitism. Since I have gotten involved in those kinds of issues in Southern California, I have found myself wondering what they really do. As for the controversies at UC-Irvine, I have not seen ADL get involved in any meaningful way aside from making a statement here and there.

Nor do I know Mr Foxman. I know that he spoke a few months back in Orange County at a country club in Newport Beach. I did not attend, but a friend who did told me that when asked about anti-Semitism on the UCI campus, he pretty much waved it away indicating he didn't see any problem there and that the faculty and students were taking care of it. (I am paraphrasing.)

OK.

So I am still wondering what it is that the ADL does-at least in my neck of the woods.

5 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Gary, the article you reference (and link to) is terribly uninformative about what ADL said or did. It merely expresses outrage that they criticized a lawyer the author finds credible, then goes on to talk about how important and positive that work is, and how professional he is.

I am not impressed with a lawyer who can cite chapter and verse from the Qu'ran, any more than I am impressed with a lawyer who can cite chapter and verse from Deuteronomy. These are neither persuasive nor mandatory precedents in American jurisprudence. They may, at best, be relevant facts, but rarely, and generally not the most salient facts for any legal controversy over which American courts have jurisdiction.

I might speculate that ADL is consistently opposing all forms of religious, racial, and ethnic discrimination, and finds elements of these abhorrent practices in the presentations this lawyer offers.

Miggie said...

I wonder if Ingrid from the Bill O'Reilly/Wafa Sultan thread saw the picture at the end of the article of the woman getting beaten, apparently according to Sharia law. I don't think that was in Kansas either.

I think ADL claims that they are terribly underfunded and understaffed these days. That is no excuse for them ending up on the wrong side of issues like this one.
.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Nothing funded by Soros is "hard-left." It may be navel-contemplating pseudo-left, but a hard left would have taken all Soros's ill-gotten capitalist speculator gains and dumped him.

ADL would do well to put Aryan Nations and jihad together in one boat, because they are two brands of the same product. That would deal effectively with the cries of "hate crime" anytime someone critiques theocracy.

Gary Fouse said...

Siarlys,

You obviously know very little about Soros. You say he is acapitalist because he made a fortune breaking the Br Pound, but you have no idea about what he is doing now. He is verrry bad guy.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I don't think much of him Gary, but I certainly don't see anything "left" about him. Lenin would have considered him about as left as the Kaiser, and we all know about how the Kaiser and Lenin each tried to use the other (one of the better scenes in the movie "Nicholas and Alexandra"). I also don't automatically reject anyone who got money from him. But I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, nor do I think he is a likely candidate to rule the world or take down western civilization. He's not that good.