Translate


Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Thailand and Remembering Kathy Fiskus

Image result for flag of thailand


This morning, I woke to the news that Thai rescuers have saved the last of the four boys and their soccer coach trapped in a cave in Northern Thailand. Like everybody else, I have followed the story, but perhaps with even more interest having lived in Thailand for three years in the 1970s. Like two other countries I have lived in, Germany and Italy, Thailand is a part of me. So I rejoice at the news that everyone has been rescued while mourning the death of the courageous Thai diver who lost his life in the long process. The country can truly be proud.

It's strange, but whenever these cases happen, I keep remembering an incident from my childhood. In 1949, a three-year-old girl named Kathy Fiscus fell into a well in the Los Angeles suburb of San Marino. I myself was not quite four, but I remember it. With the birth of TV, the whole nation watched the efforts to rescue Kathy, which sadly failed. By the time they got her out, she had died. I never forgot the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Fiscus

Thank God the tragedy of Kathy Fiscus was not repeated in Thailand.

No comments: