Translate


Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Pearl Harbor Day

In case our college students (and half of their professors) didn't know what today is, it is December 7-Pearl Harbor Day, the anniversary of the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor getting us into World War II. Somewhere I heard that there are only five living survivors of that attack, and that four of them are in Hawaii today to observe the 75th anniversary.

I have visited the USS Arizona Memorial on two occasions as well as the Peace Park memorial in Hiroshima on one occasion. I can tell you that both were moving experiences. President Obama's visit to Hiroshima last year drew some controversy over speculation he might apologize for the bombings of that city and Nagasaki in 1945. This year, it has been announced that Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe will visit Pearl Harbor later this month. I think that is a splendid idea. I doubt he will actually apologize but if he chooses the right words, it won't matter at least to me.

What matters is that we won the war, Japan is now a decent country, and we are strong friends and allies. But Pearl Harbor must never be forgotten.

No comments: