Translate


Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Hillary Clinton Has Corrupted the State Department

This arricle appeared first in Eagle Rising.


I have had a fair amount of experience with our State Department. That began in 1974 when I spent 6 months studying Thai at the Foreign Service Institute in Rosslyn, Va. I should add that I consider the FSI one of the great language teaching bodies in the world,

In 1975, I was assigned by DEA to Bangkok, Thailand where I spent three years working out of the American embassy. Later, from 1982-1987, I was assigned to Milan, Italy working out of the American consulate.

My last experience with the State Department was from 1993 to 1995 when I was assigned to DEA's International Training team. In that capacity, our teams traveled around the world putting on two-week drug enforcement seminars for foreign drug cops. Our entire program was funded by the State Department. As such, when we were in a foreign country, our point of contact was the local American embassy. In addition, I had several occasions over those years to visit the State Department hqs in Foggy Bottom.

Suffice to say that I had the chance to form some general opinions about the State Department. Without painting a wide brush as to everyone I met and all the experiences I had, I can generalize by saying that I never had a very high opinion about the State Department and their culture of superiority. I considered most of them to be haughty and inflicted with superiority complex towards those of other agencies. Again, I stress this was not everybody, but you could say that it was generally part of the culture. I should add that this cut across administrations, Republican or Democrat.

But I never considered the State Department to be a corrupt entity.

Now, when I see what is happening to this department during the past 6 years, under Hillary Clinton and now John Kerry, I consider it to have been utterly corrupted.

The lies and cover ups surrounding the attack in Benghazi and now the revelations about the millions of dollars being funneled into the Clinton Foundation coffers representing a conflict of interest for Mrs. Clinton have crossed a line not previously seen in the State Department. Add to that the stonewalling by the Department and their arrogant spokespersons (Jen Psaki and Marie Harf) have given the appearance of a department above the law. Just in the past few days we have seen that the Department cannot account for most of their official email correspondence in the past few years.

This problem goes beyond Hillary Clinton and John Kerry. It goes to the President, who has set the tone for the abuse of power within his administration. The most egregious example has been the Justice Department under Eric Holder, a department from which I am retired and served with pride.

Now, thanks largely to the imperiousness and corruption of Hillary Clinton, the State Department, the very face of our nation around the world, has  become a corrupt department badly in need of reform.

No comments: