Translate


Monday, January 19, 2015

My Periodic Gut Check on Islam

Some months ago, I wrote a post reminding myself that when dealing with the topic of Islam, I needed to take care not to go after Muslims in general. Since then, the atrocities of ISIS and Boko Haram have been joined by the horrible attacks in Paris. Combined, they have served to awaken millions of people to the problem of Islamist extremism. Correspondingly, criticism of Islam and increased media examination of Islam have brought this issue to the forefront-as it should be.

Thus, it is time that I remind myself once again not to cross the line of decency and stir up a backlash against innocent Muslims, who are still in the majority.

That doesn't mean that I won't write about the atrocities that continue to play out in the name of Allah.

That doesn't mean I won't continue to criticize religious leaders who call for violence in the name of Allah.

That doesn't mean I won't continue to ridicule raging mobs who burn, assault and call for murder against those who speak ill of their religion.

That doesn't mean I won't continue to write about organizations like CAIR and others, who, in my view, are subversive and stealth jihadists.

But we cannot resort to backlashes against the innocent. Just because churches are burning and synagogues are being defaced or attacked is no justification for vandalizing mosques. In addition, there is no justification for assaulting Muslims or insulting them on the street. Fortunately, those cases in the US have been held to a minimum, which speaks well for the good sense and tolerance of the American people.

As for the Prophet Mohammed, I feel that there should be an open and honest discussion of his life and sayings. Criticism and yes, even cartoons should be legal and protected in the West. I myself still feel that obscene cartoons depicting the Prophet are offensive. Waving a sign in front of Muslims saying that their prophet was a pedophile is offensive to all Muslims and something I would not do. Nevertheless, that should never be a justification for violence and murder- never. Not in the West at least.

There should also be an open discussion of the Koran and the troublesome references to violence and intolerance. I do not advocate burning Korans because that is offensive to all Muslims. I advocate reading the Koran (and knowing how to read it and reconcile the contradictions).

At any rate, I say we stand firm and tell the Islamic world that we will never submit. I still feel that the West must call a halt to Islamic immigration until all the madness stops. We should not be afraid to speak our mind about all this even in front of Muslims in an intelligent manner, but let us not victimize innocent people.




1 comment:

Miggie said...

I'm not proposising thr same tactics but I can't help thinking about the hateful demonstrations the MSU puts. UN at many campuses eeach year aside from. all the bloodshed