Translate


Sunday, November 23, 2014

Inside a Catholic University (Marquette)

If you assume that a Catholic university like Marquette would be a bastion of opposition to gay marriage-think again. That's OK. What is troubling is that a student would be chastised for attempting to voice his opposition to gay marriage when it was brought up in class with the teacher's assumption that everyone supported it.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/11/22/teacher-to-student-if-dont-support-gay-marriage-drop-my-class/?intcmp=latestnews

I still maintain that opposition to gay marriage does not make one homophobic. It just means they believe in the traditional form of marriage between a man and a woman.

Unfortunately, too many professors seem to think that the concept of academic freedom only means that they are free to say whatever they want in the classroom, but not their students.

1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

If my words offend you, your recourse is to offend me right back, not to demand that I refrain from speaking. Likewise, if you offend me, my recourse is to offend you right back. Then we can all go out for lunch, or a beer, or to see a Cubs game, or whatever.

elwood and I demonstrate this bedrock of democracy and free speech all the time, and Findalis also. Gary just sits back and lets the words flow. A good example for this Marquette professor, who appears to need remedial education on "ethics."