Translate


Friday, February 15, 2013

Government Tax Dollars at Work-Sensitivity Training

"Repeat after me: The Pilgrims were illegal aliens"

If there is one industry that is not being hurt by the poor economy, it is the diversity industry. Meet Sam Betances, a diversity consultant who makes big bucks by going around and giving sensitivity training-in this case to employees of the US Dept. of Agriculture, who are forced to attend these boondoggles and recite dopey phrases like the one above,

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/14/confidential-expensive-usda-sensitivity-training-the-pilgrims-were-illegal-aliens-videos/

Yes, I had to attend one of these side shows when I was a DEA agent in LA back in the early 80s. It was mandatory. Someone checked off a box that I had attended and it went into my personnel file. Later, in the DC area in the 90s, I had to take a "course", read some booklets, and answer questions. The theme was "Affirmative action is for everybody".

This is what government does.

In the late 90s, retired from government, I was teaching part-time at Northern Virginia Community College and took some of my foreign students to one of these diversity seminars. It consisted of a panel of victims, one black, one Hispanic, one woman, one blind teacher, and a white student (who felt that he was a victim of discrimination because of affirmative action). At the end of it all, one of my students asked the panel, "What the hell is wrong with you Americans? You live in the greatest and freest country in the world, and you are all unhappy." I didn't really have an answer. I did write a memo to my department about it because the blind guy had made disparaging remarks to the foreign students because in their countries, they had no patience for people like him getting on a bus with a seeing eye dog.

Now repeat after me,

"The Pilgrims were illegal aliens."

You see, it's easy. Now you are ready to march out into the world.

3 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I'm opposed to almost all sensitivity training. I would like to see some training better focused on "Communication is about how the person you are speaking to perceives what you say, not about what you know you mean." That's different from sensitivity. It puts "cross-cultural" in a whole different, and reasonably practical, light.

Add to that, "as a government employee, you are a public servant, there to help the citizen on the other side of the desk, not to be a petty tyrant. However, a few of them will be assholes, and you don't have to take an infinite amount of crap just because your paycheck is funded by taxpayers."

Gary Fouse said...

Siarlys,

Cross-cultural, sensitivity, diversity training is a boom industry-unfortunately.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Agreed. A totally parasitic industry.