Translate


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another Common Book Controversy-This Time at Brooklyn College


Brooklyn College


The National Association of Scholars (NAS) is reporting on several universities that are assigning politically-corrdect books to incoming freshmen as part of a "Common Book" program. One such story I cross-posted recently involved UCLA and their Office of Residential Life. Now NAS has posted a story on a similar program and assigned book at Brooklyn College.

http://www.nas.org/polArticles.cfm?Doc_Id=1513

In addition, the New York Daily News and Inside Higher Education.com are reporting the reaction of one Brooklyn College grad, who has decided to remove his alma mater from his will over the issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/08/31/2010-08-31_alum_to_cut_college_out_of_will_over_arab_tome.html


To the above articles, I would add the following question: Who is paying for all these books? Somebody is, and it should also be noted that the author is also a teacher at Brooklyn College.

Conflict of interest?

Of course, someone will point out that universities are stuffed with professors who assign their own books as class texts. That may be true, but is it right? It is still a conflict of interest in my view.

Kudos to Mr. Kesler for taking concrete action. When universities like this start feeling it in their pocketbooks, maybe they will start to reform themselves.

3 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Screw all "common book" programs. If I want to read a book, I will. If I don't, I won't. If someone has to tell me this is the book everyone is reading this fall, its probably not worth my time to read it. If everyone is reading the same book, how can we keep each other informed? I rely on people who have the time to read books I don't have the time to read because I'm prioritizing my time for some other book to keep me informed of whatever might be worth knowing from a book I didn't have time to read.

Gary Fouse said...

Siarlys,

It is called indoctrination.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

You just can't take yes for an answer Gary. One thing we AGREE on is that we are both opposed to indoctrination!!!