Translate


Saturday, July 31, 2010

Colorado Rockies 17 Waveland Street Champs 2

* Yes, I know it's Waveland Avenue, but Waveland Street flows better with "champs".






I don't spend much time this season watching the Cubs even though I have WGN. There's no sense holding out any hope. The season is gone, the team isn't a contender anymore, they need to rebuild with youth, and hopefully in another 5 years, they will be in a position to break our hearts again by blowing another pennant. Last night was no better. At Coors Field in Denver, they gave up 12 runs-yes, 12 runs in the 8th inning and lost to the Rockies 17-2.

"Ah wunnerful, ah wunnerfulah."


I went back and forth intermittently and with the Cubs losing 5-2 after 7, I switched to one of those history channels to watch the Korean War from beginning to end. So after watching that for an hour, I started flipping channels, and accidentally hit WGN never dreaming that the game was still going on. Yet, there they were in the bottom of the 8th inning, Rockies running all over the diamond like kids at a picnic scoring runs-12 in all- as old Lou Piniella sat there in the dugout watching helplessly.



"What me worry?"

After the game, Lou blamed the loss on bad umpiring claiming that he could never get a break at Coors Field. Believe it or not, there might be something to that.


So make that 102 years since the Cubs won it all. But there is good news. Big Z is coming back and soon the Cubs will be back in the Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field. And now that they are putting ads on the outfield walls, there should be lots of money to pay those big salaries to Zambrano, Soriano et al.

4 comments:

Findalis said...

The Sox are doing well though.

Siarlys Jenkins said...

As my Chicago cousin says, being a Cubs fan is good preparation for life. I know the Cubs are going to win a pennant in my lifetime. I hope I live another thirty or forty-four years.

Gary Fouse said...

Findalis,

I'll file that under "Good news, mein Fuehrer."

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Findalis, you and Barack Obama have something in common. (But Michelle is a Cubs fan, like me and Gary).