Translate


Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Marco Antonio Solis


Marco Antonio Solis


Every now and then, I like to take a break from the political stuff, which is usually depressing, to write about this or that among my personal interests. One of my passions is Spanish-language music. I grew up with rock and roll in the late 50s, and, in my opinion, English-language music has deteriorated badly since then. Yes, there was some great music in the 60s, such as Motown, but to me, the British invasion destroyed rock and roll. (I know I am going to get some angry responses to that.) At any rate, when I look at English-language music today, all I see is rap, hip-hop and heavy metal. It is particularly sad to see the decline in black music, one of the great art forms of American culture. I hardly even classify rap as music. Nobody is singing, and the instrumental part is basically a drum in the background. I won't even go into the lyrics. The Platters and the Drifters must be turning over in their graves.

I know this is a long introduction, but it leads into my interest into Spanish music, which still produces quality product in the Spanish-speaking world as well as in the United States and, of course, Spain. Mexico especially has made its mark, not only in its distinctive styles, such as Mariachi, but as an important center of Spanish language music. Many famous stars from Spain, such as Julio Iglesis, actually started their careers in Mexico.

Over the years, I have become a fan of several singers such as Iglesias, the late Rocio Durcal (Spain), and Juan Gabriel (Mexico). My current favorite is Marco Antonio Solis of Mexico.

Solis was born in the Mexican state of Michoacan in 1959 and began singing as a child. At the age of 12, he was part of a duo with his brother, Joel, known as Los Hermanitos Solis (The Little Solis Brothers).

In the 1970s, Solis hit it big as part of the singing group, Los Bukis, which became extremely popular in Mexico, Latin America and the Spanish-speaking communities in the US. In the 1990s, Solis decided to go solo and has become one of the most popular solo artists in the Spanish-speaking world with dozens of hits.

A list of all his hits would be impractical here, but some of my favorites are:

O me voy o te vas
Tu carcel
El peor de mis fracasos
Morenita
Si no te hubieras ido
Sigue sin mi
Mi eterno amor segreto
Mi ultimo adios


Solis composes all of his music himself. His songs are generally romantic and often with the theme of lost love. The music could be considered international in nature with strings in the background. Many of his concerts are assisted by local symphony orchestras, such as the San Juan (PR) Symphony Orchestra, which performed with him at his appearance in San Juan, or the Madrid Symphony Orchestra when he performed in Madrid.

Not confined to love songs, Solis also mixes in faster Latin and Mexican rhythms with hot female dancers, who appear on stage for certain faster-paced numbers. In addition, there are always 3-4 female dancers who sway in the background to all of the songs. A Marco Antonio Solis concert, even with all the sad love songs, is a happy, rousing experience. (I have attended two.)

Solis records for the Fonovisa Company in Los Angeles, and lives in the LA area. His personal life is unsullied by scandals such as is the case with many other singers and entertainers. In addition to being a great composer, singer and performer, he is also a role model.

If you have any interest in Latin music, this is a singer you might want to check out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all need a break from politics every now and then.

Although I have to say in response to your criticism of contemporary "black music," that which genres are "better" than others is completely subjective. You don't like rap or hip-hop (neither do I, for the most part), and that's fine, but that doesn't make it not music. I'm not really a fan, but like any genre, it has its talented artists and it's less talented ones. And yes, creating those types of music does take talent.

Gary Fouse said...

Yes, my opinions are subjective, but I think I can tell the difference between talking and singing.

Anonymous said...

Well there's also a difference between rapping and talking. I don't know if you've ever heard people "freestyle", but it's where they do improv rapping to the beat, making up very clever and witty rhymes on the spot. It takes a lot of talent, which I can respect.

Gary Fouse said...

Bryan,

You are obviously more into rapping than I am, so you appreciate things that I, as an old fuddy duddy, cannot appreciate.

I would recommend you listen to some old black music such as the Platters, the Drifters, the Flamingos, Chuck Willis, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, the Supremes, the 4 Tops,etc-and tell me that we have not lost something great in our culture.

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Hey Gary,

I like a lot of the artists that you just mentioned in your post to Bryan (especially Muddy Waters), but I also like some rap as well. (I'm not a huge fan of it though - and I think that the majority of it is indeed garbage.) It's just a different sort of a thing from that other stuff, and it's not trying to be like it. There's room for everything! My MP3 player currently has some heavy metal (Metallica), jazz (Coltrane), classic rock (Creedence), classical (Beethoven), and even some rap (Public Enemy). Oh, I even have Edith Piaf on there.

Of course though, you should only listen to what you like. I think that it's lame to listen to something just because a lot of people tell you it's good.