Translate


Saturday, October 10, 2015

"Cultural Appropriation" at Clemson

Hat tip College Insurrection and Campus Reform

Image result for clemson university helmet
Clemson's (excessive) carbon footprint


One of the latest buzz-words among the Academic Offended these days is "cultural appropriation". That's when white students so much as dare to eat foreign food, I guess. So when Clemson University decides to have a Mexican food night, people get offended, and of course, the Cowardly Lions Tigers in the administration pour out all the apologies.

http://collegeinsurrection.com/2015/10/clemson-apologizes-for-serving-mexican-food/comment-page-1/#comment-12635

"The university, however, took a different position. Dr. Doug Hallenbeck, Clemson University’s Senior Associate Vice President of Student Affairs apologized for the event’s “flattened cultural view of Mexican culture.”

Image result for cowardly tiger
“It is the mission of University Housing & Dining to create supportive and challenging environments that enrich and nourish lives. We failed to live out our mission yesterday, and we sincerely apologize,” Hallenbeck said.
Dr. Hallenbeck went on to promise that the university “will continue to work closely with [its] food service provider to create dining programs that align with Clemson University’s core values.”


All I can say is out here in Southern California, me and my Mexican wife would probably not be interested in sampling Mexican food in someplace like South Carolina, but that said, what is the big deal? What else am I not supposed to eat? What else am I not supposed to wear? If I wear my Colombian National Police Anti-Narcotics hat, which I bought in Bogota many years back, is that offensive to Colombians? If I go to an Oktoberfest in the US and wear my goofy Bavarian cap, is that offensive to Germans? (Of course not.)



Get a life, People!

3 comments:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

Dining services that align with core values?

That deserves an Alfred E. Neuman.

I thought Paul Robeson had settled the matter when a serving lady at Rutgers who had a Swedish accent told him "Ve don't serve colored food." The lady wasn't saying we don't serve colored students, she sincerely believed colored people ate different food. Robeson told her "That's fine ma'am, just give me a plate of that white food like everyone else."

The thing that really unites Americans regardless of race, creed or color is that we all love Chinese food. Have any Chinese students complained? What if Chinese students started picketing Chinese restaurants demanding that nobody white or black or Hispanic be allowed to appropriate their national spring rolls and pot stickers?

elwood p suggins said...

A while back, I recall Ken Hamblin, black conservative radio show host in Denver , (I always liked him) relating that when he was told in a restaurant somewhere "We don't serve "n-----s", he replied "That's OK, I don't eat "n-----s".

Siarlys Jenkins said...

I doubt if that happened in Hamblin's lifetime, but it is another oldie, if always a goodie.

The long version, which was making the rounds when I was in middle school, was that a black man walked into a restaurant in Mississippi, and a waitress told him, "We don't serve Negroes here." That's all right he replied, I didn't want to eat one. Bring me a plate of fried chicken. The waitress called the police, then brought him the chicken. A big beefy cop walked in and roared "Boy, whatever you do to that chicken I'm going to do to you." The man picked up the chicken very gently, found the place where its intestines used to exit, and lovingly kissed the spot.