Translate


Tuesday, January 21, 2014

LA Times: "Racist to Criticize Richard Sherman"

Hat tip Chris



"If one scans the wording, it is obvious that some of the criticism of Sherman is rooted in blatant racism. But some of it also seems to stem from a subtle racism. When a white player talks trash, he is considered quirky and cool. But if that same smack comes from a black player with dreadlocks and a snarl, he is a cretin? Sherman didn't say anything that hasn't once been said by the likes of Larry Bird and John McEnroe, yet nobody ever called them a thug."

LA Times sports columnist Bill Plaschke takes exception to the criticism that has been leveled at Seahawks corner back Richard Sherman for his verbal outburst after the victory over San Francisco Sunday. It is racist, according to Plaschke.



I have already posted my views on this and never brought up race. In terms of race, however, I again bring back the name of the Seahawks' quarterback, Russell Wilson, who conducted himself gracefully and with class in the post-game interviews. 

I could also mention Miami offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who has acted like a thug and is currently out of a job. Nobody hesitated to call Incognito (who is white) a thug after that video surfaced of him in a Florida bar throwing his considerable weight around. Though I have not posted anything on it, I have also read that New England tight end Rob Gronkowski has been observed acting loud and thuggish off the field on many occasions. He is also white. And as for John McEnroe, I rooted fiercely against him because of his boorish behavior on the court.

As I said before, I have no illusions about football and its violence. This is not tennis. In my youth, baseball was my sport ( I played semi-pro and in college), not football. However, I have been watching the game on TV from the comfort of my couch all my life, and I had always been accustomed to victorious players tipping their hat to the opposing team after the game, saying things like, "They are an outstanding football team", or something like that. Not this.

So come off it, Mr Plaschke. Sherman acted like a jerk (which you concede) and a thug as well. In real life, he may not be a thug, but he still embarrassed his entire organization, and owes Michael Crabtree a public apology. When you try to give him a pass, you are using the same reasoning that says  people who voted against President Obama did so because they are racist. As to Sherman's behavior, you are applying a double standard. Whether it's Richie Incognito or Richard Sherman, it may be slightly different circumstances, but it's basically the same thing.


No comments: